take home my new bike Thursday! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

I take home my new bike Thursday! *UPDATE*

I just bought a '06 YZF600r (black) and get to take it home on Thursday when I get my endorsement! Before anyone yells at me for not starting on a 250 that is beat to shit... well, I just couldn't help myself My question is, does anyone know any good websites are catalogs for aftermarket parts? Specifically, I'm looking for a fender eliminator kit, new tailight, frame sliders and different blinkers, or at least over time. Second question, any parts designed to fit an '05 or '06 600r would fit this right?

Third question, I'm taking my Basic rider course the next two days and the expert course in about four or five weeks but does anyone know of any on-track courses in the Portland or Seattle area?

Thanks!

Last edited by ericande; 09-22-2005 at 06:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 09:20 PM

Damn....

you are excited! I don't blame you. Just take it easy on that MSF course. I finished mine today. Since your bike is new, maybe you should "putt" around (alot)and get used to the way it handles first. The course I took was mostly about control (at VERY low speeds). I've been riding almost every day for only about 2 months but the course was still some what difficult on even the most simplest things. But your bike is lighter so you'll do fine. Anyway I just wanted tell you that for advanced saftey course in California you have to wait a year after the basic. Have you seen the requirment for you? Oh, and congrats on the bike!
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 09:59 PM

yzf600 is still quite heavy I imagine. anyway Congrats! I would've opted for a used one, but your call.

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 10:16 PM

woops, had to edit because i asked a dumb question. (realized what I read wrong)

Last edited by Radke2953; 09-14-2005 at 10:19 PM.
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 10:27 PM

Congrats on the bike, i think it is a great first bike that you won't grow out of for a long time. Just be careful for a while, that bike has still got a nasty bite.

Oh, and just to christen you properly,
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

holy sh**!

I love riding this bike! Just put 140 mile on my new bike until the usual Seattle rain made me put it away (not comfortable in the rain...). But I got a few questions for all you wise and experience folks...

Why do people love to tell you their horror stories when they find out you got a bike?

I heard a few warnings about taking off with a cold rear tire, one guy recomended a little burnout to warm it up... any words of wisdom on cold rear tires or potential dangers?

There's a lot of construction on the I-5 on my way to work and it has created ruts that go at slight angles to the lanes. It makes the bike travel along that line a bit. Do you find it is easier to purposely steer to keep out of them or just look down the freeway a couple hundred feet and have the bike just roll over stuff like that?

Thanks, and thanks again for all the advice sitting on this forum that helped me feel comfortable going into all this!
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 04:43 AM

The horror stories will never stop, so you just have to get used to them. Also, you'll get a lot of stories from people who owned a bike for a week when they were 18 and have pined for one ever since ("So quit bitching to me and go buy one...").

The burnout thing is not only bullshit, but a terrible idea unless you like cleaning rubber off of your bike and buying a lot of (expensive...) tires. *HOWEVER* the cold part is true. Be careful on cold tires, it does take a bit of normal riding for them to warm up. Also, the sides will warm up differently from the center, so even if you've been riding straight for a long time, make sure to take it easy for the first few corners that you hit. But at this stage in your learning you should be taking it easy in all the corners.

Good luck and keep the shiny side up.
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 06:03 AM

Congrats!

post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 06:59 AM

Far as those road milling ruts: Stay relaxed!!! Let the bike wander some and correct with small changes.

A few ccs short of a full litre.
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 09-16-2005, 12:21 PM

Best of tips above. I bought the 600r in '97 & first in our area. Oh yes the black one as well.

So here it is '05 & I still have it though also have a '00 Honda 929 & '03 Honda 954 I purchased out of the crate in August of '04.

The 600r is the first bike out in the Spring & last to be put away in the fall. All because this bike is very forgiving compared to the two others. It may be claimed 412lbs dry weight, only it does not freel like that to me.

Personally I find the saddle to soft & prefer the harder saddles of the 929/954 & while the riding position is not as extreme on the 600r with quite a large fairing all is on the good side for a beginner.

Basically all I have been doing is feeding the bike petrol, oil, tyres, chains, & sprockets.

Still I will admit though rider error of riding some twisties way to fast along with some spilled grave/sand from a truck I went down with the bike in June of '03. The frame slider did its job though the blow was pretty hard & finally the bolt folded back, totalled the nose piece & right panel. True front brake lever was bent, but was able to bring it back & have touched up the bar end & a few other parts with pain.

I could not see myself buying a new petrol tank or the fairing on the sub carriers or a new can so those show there "battle scars".

Actually the 600r is the ONLY bike I will ride use on short runs to a shop or someplace, leaving the bike exposed to those wanting to steal sportbikes, knowing said scars sort of turn the crooks off & besides they realize it is an old design though do not realize what a good bike it is.

Lastly you will find the suspension system is a bit on the soft side & when blasting twisties at high speeds you might notice it is a bit spongy compared to something like my other two bikes.

Otherwise this is a darn good bike with amazing brakes when it came out & STILL tops in stopping power PLUS having a nice mid-range engine that most of the other 600s do not bar the Kwacker ZZ-R600.

Lastly the ONLY things I have put on the bike are Kevlar front brake lines, but I do that to all bikes, & some protection to the petrol tank.

May I suggest that you purchase a Battery Tender & make full use of it? True this is a brand name & the bike came with gel batteries & same for my other two bikes & my '91 Mazda truck. Still this bike is still with its original battery of '97 thanks to the Battery Tender. I plug it in each time I come home & even in the winter months I do the same & do NOT bring in the batteries into my home though it is cold up here in the winter months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode