Sportbike Comparison and Hands-On Info - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike Comparison and Hands-On Info

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I'll soon be a new rider as well, I've been searching through brands and models, reading up on techniques and specifications as well. I've rounded my choices down to a couple of models, 04 Suzuki GSXR-1000, 04 Honda CBR1000RR, and 04 Yamaha YZF-R1. I've always heard good things about the Suzuki, the Yamaha I still don't know too much about, and I'm leaning towards the Honda. However, if there is anyone here who has these model bikes or some experience with them, or just knows a little something about them, could you drop a line here? Thanks a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 05:49 AM

Look around the site there are multiple active threads going on about new riders and liter bikes. its almost assured suicide. Try a starter bike, at least for the first season. something like the SV650S. Not saying this to be rude or elitist, just want ya to kick around more then a month

That said, all 4 manufacturers are equal for all practical reasons. The bikes are just about equally fast, equally priced, and equally reliable. Very, Very few people can tell the difference (The ussually ride around in huge semi's with the company's logo on the side)

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 12:30 PM

I would suggest one of two bikes being the 500cc vertical twins by Suzuki & Kawasaki. Both are more ideal bikes to learn on, with regular riding positions rather then lean forward, full & broader handlebars rather then clip-ons & in comparioson to the SV-650S the footrests are in a more sensible position & easy to quickly get a foot off to rebalance the bike.

Also they are with pretty bullet proof power plants, decent braking, & suspension plus nice power from lower revs up to the top. When at a stop light & it goes green either bike wll be faster across the road then most cages & the darn things can hike you up to close to 100mph. So really an ideal learning m/c PLUS it will not be higher for insurance as the bike will NOT be classed as a sportbike.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 01:56 PM

Even though I'm all for freedom of choice, and believe there are people that can handle liter bikes for a first bike, I am compelled to echo the sentiments of the general sportbike population, that says you should probably start off on something other than a liter bike.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

I see, I see. I understand your concerns about the power of the liter-bike, I don't intend to become the next quota roadkill. I've decided to go for the Yamaha YZF-R1, but considering they are relatively cheap (I've found them for $3K-$8K) and I really want to take this seriously is there a lower cc model which is resemblant of the R1, maybe the YZF-R6? I've been busy reading a lot of the topics here, I was totally surprised at the counter-steering method, I had no idea there was another way to do it besides weight-shifting.

So, do you think the YZF-R6 is a viable option? Anyone know some places for MSF courses in NY or NJ?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 05:45 PM

To save you money in not buying the wrong bike, as some have, I highly suggest you FIRST of all line up to take the MSF Course.

After you have passed that THEN you will have a better idea of what it will be like to ride a m/c even though all you might have riden at the course was 100 to 250cc bikes.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I was just checking out the MSF site, looks like I'll have to hit up the DMV first, but I'm glad that the MSF courses have bikes for you to use, don't want to imagine buying and being stuck with the wrong bike. (I'm buying frame sliders regardless, lol!)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 07:40 PM

You say you've been reading here for a while, but I see no evidence of that whatsoever if you're thinking of an R1. As for the $3k-$8k price range, by any chance are you looking on eBay???

If you're a newbie, and plan on getting a 2004 R1 from eBay for $3k, I'd say go for it, you're making a good decision.

I'm sure you'll learn your lesson afterwards......
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Dude, you just sound pompous as hell. Don't even start that nonsense.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 08:57 PM

no offense Zen, but it really did sound like you knew absolutely nothing about bikes on previous hand. and it's a good thing that you decided to ask for advice here, many don't and purchase R1. if they survive on that bike, you'll know still they're not very good riders. you should still do a little more research about bikes, take MSF, and pick up one of the newbie-friendly bikes to start with. it'll pay off dividends when you buy R6 or R1. don't mock, because the sport is serious as well as fun, and so some of us choose to present it with tough love. you could be hanging off at one moment, or lying dead on the next. because many newbs don't listen, pick up a literbike or Hayabusa, fuk themselves over, they never return to the sport (good thing), but they hike up rest of our insurance on the process (bad thing). in the end, it's your choice, but I don't think decious was out of line making his comment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode