New or Used, and a few other ?'s - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

New or Used, and a few other ?'s

Hi,
I have been reading this forum for over a year, and everything has finally lined up right to were I have the money to buy my first bike. I have only ridden a streetbike a few times(a friends R6 around the block), but I have ridden dirt bikes for 6 years. I know everybody will tell me to start with a 500 or the 650S, but Im pretty sure I can handle it, and I have a good head on my shoulders as far as going over my capabilitys. I am going to take the safty course before I start riding. My ? is should I buy new or used? I have narrowed my choices down to a GSXR600, or a ZX-6R. I will have about 5k to spend after I sell my mustang. It seems like people just want way too much for there used bikes. I have been seeing 00-01's going for like 45oo-5k. It seems like I would rather just spend an extra 3k, and get a new bike that I know hasnt been abused? Also is there any other used (99-01) bikes that are a better choice? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 12:01 PM

If it's your first bike, why not go used? You're going to spend far less money, and since it's your first streetbike there's a good shot you're going to dump the bike, whether it's parked, slow moving, or crashing.

Don't forget to budget some of that money for riding gear: helmet, jacket, pants, boots, gloves.

Good luck!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

I was just thinking new because it seems like everybody around here wants way too much for used bikes. Also, can anybody tell me if any bikes are better for taller people.(im 6'4)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 09:40 AM

I am one of the ones that will say to start on a 600, as long as you respect the bike and take it slow, and wear your gear, you should be ok.

I say buy used, because the chances of dumping the bike during your first year or to of learnig, well its most likely gonna happen.

You can get a 2000, 2001 ZX6R, F4I for around $4000, ride it for a year, and still get close to your money back. get the bobbles out of the way, then buy a nice new bike and have better chance of keeping it uprite, your not losing any money. Actually you'll prob save money in the long run.

As far as size goes, the older bikes will fit you beter than the new, i have a friend who is about 6'6 around 220lbs and rides an F2, kinda funny looking but no problems.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by izzybo69
I am one of the ones that will say to start on a 600, as long as you respect the bike and take it slow, and wear your gear, you should be ok.

I say buy used, because the chances of dumping the bike during your first year or to of learnig, well its most likely gonna happen.

You can get a 2000, 2001 ZX6R, F4I for around $4000, ride it for a year, and still get close to your money back. get the bobbles out of the way, then buy a nice new bike and have better chance of keeping it uprite, your not losing any money. Actually you'll prob save money in the long run.

As far as size goes, the older bikes will fit you beter than the new, i have a friend who is about 6'6 around 220lbs and rides an F2, kinda funny looking but no problems.

I also wanted to add, though, if you've got excellent credit, there are some damn good deals to be had on new bikes, particularly if you pay most of it off. Obviously, this all depends on your personal situation, otherwise, I pretty much share izzybo's outlook...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 09:24 PM

From what I have seen bikes do not depreciate nearly as quickly in value as cars do. Check out kbb.com to find out what a reasonable price for a bike is. Usually in a private party sale you will pay more than the trade in value but less than teh dealership value.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode