Lots of advice needed - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Lots of advice needed

Hey guys,
I am new to the world of street bikes and am in need of lots of advice. First off let me introduce myself. My name is Andy, Iím 18, and from North Carolina. Iíve wanted a motorcycle for a long time, and finally trying to pursue this goal. I would like to own a street bike for the fun factor, and currently driving an F-150 with a 5.8l V8 is killing my wallet with these gas prices.

My first and biggest problem is my parents. Currently they are absolutely against me owning a street bike. They believe itís too dangerous and say ďas long as Iím under this roof its not happeningĒ Did anyone else run into parents like this when they where my age? Can anyone shed some light on changing their minds?

Assuming I, in the end can change their minds I would also like some advice on what bike to get. I have ridden dirt bikes and four wheelers but not enough to amount to any real world experience. I have read about starting out on a 250, or 500 but not sure if they will fit me. I am 6 foot 1, and weigh 215 pounds. Will a smaller bike fit me, or will I need something like a 600 to be comfortable? I would like to buy used and not spend to much money for everything.

Thanks a lot,
Correll

Last edited by Correll; 09-05-2005 at 07:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 12:31 AM

haha

What i did was buy it w.o telling them bring it home and surprise them. if your buying it with your own money why not? But then you have to respect your parents. b.c you do live under there roof. just show them your love for bikes, put pictures everywhere buy magazines and leave them on the dinner table or coffee table. be smart, and 600cc bike IS NOT a problem for you, both my friend and i started and learned on a 600cc bike, he has a R6 and i have a gsxr600. and plus your a big man, we are 140 LB lol...
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 05:52 AM
Strength and Honor

Link - parentals
Link 1
Link 2

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 07:38 AM

My parents didn't have a problem with me getting one, but they refused to give my any financial help at all. So getting a bike was tough since I had no credit history. I am 18 btw like yourself. So find out if it is ok if you spend your own hard earned money on it and they wont get mad. Or just move out.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 12:28 PM

Re: haha

Quote:
Originally posted by Yellowgixxer600
...600cc bike IS NOT a problem for you, both my friend and i started and learned on a 600cc bike...
How long have you and your friend been riding?

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 12:29 PM

about

about a month now, we never laid it down so far.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 01:00 PM

Re: about

Quote:
Originally posted by Yellowgixxer600
about a month now, we never laid it down so far.
Wow! A whole month!

Mate, you've got no right telling every man and his dog that he can start on a late-model 600 when you've only been riding a month.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 01:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
If common sense exists in your mind, a 600 is fine for you.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by duessel
If common sense exists in your mind, a 600 is fine for you.
I concur, riding is definatly not as hard as everyone makes it out to be.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 01:48 PM

Maybe. maybe not.
I started on a 750. A zephyr 750, which is one of them UJM. Definetly not a sportbike.
And at first I too thought that a 600 would be a fine starter. Hell, I thought that even a liter goes only as fast as you want it to.
Then I meet some kid in a parking lot talking about his new bike. half an hour later I'm pulling him out of a ditch. a month later, same thing. I find myself spending all saturday in the ER, waiting to hear on some kid I've never even met before. He had no family around, I figured someone has to be there for him. The same story repeats itself time and time again.. And let me tell you it gets old real quick. Nothing like the sight of blood and dismembered body parts to ruin your weekend.
So I went back to my thinking. I stopped with the attitude I have of "I can handle just about any bike, without getting in trouble" and thought about how I was riding when I first started. How I had to slow down to 3 mph to make a street corner. How I amazed I was when I figured the concept of counter steering, and "reverse countersteering". How I dropped my bike in the middle of the street becouse it stalled on me.
I really dont think its the horsepower thats a problem. Even a 250 can easily reach speed which will seriously hurt/kill a rider. Hey it doesnt take much. 30mph can be fatal.
But the responsivness of modern sportbikes is hard to deal with.
Less sporty bikes will stand up under braking. Thats really annoying if you are trying to haul ass, and brake deep into a corner. But on the other hand, available traction increases as the bike stands up, thus locking up the front tire is a tad harder. It takes time before you can feel the front brake, or the suspension. With some expirience, the bike talks to you, tells you whats going on. But not when you are new. Not when you got a death grip on the bars, every muscle tense, adrenaline surging as you pull out of the parking lot.
sure 600's are fun. I love stabbing away at the shifter, dropping 4 gears before a corner, trying to blip the throttle just right, so that I can hear the engine scream at 13000 rpm, rear tire sliding leaving marks on the pavement, as I set up to brake for the next. But the idea of either tire, sliding even a tad, was absolutely terrifying when I started. Hell leaning past 45 deg seemed insane. The bike could just fall at any moment.
Being a heavier guy only makes the problem worse. Sure the bike doesnt accelerate as hard. But the center of gravity is higher, which means the bike is twitchier. It means that any change in riders position going to affect the bike more. Does a new rider realize that? probly not. He will most likely continue to shift his weight, sending his bike into a bizzare wave instead of a line.
Can a 600 be civil? sure. But what happens when you get a little brave? Just a tad, just enough to push a corner at 10 mph over that "recommended" speed. And a deer jumps out in front of you? or there is an oil slick? or gravel? What happens when a sudden, panicked grab at the brake locks the front wheel, just for half a second, but enough to send the bars into a wild, ravanous dance. Enough to rip them out of your hands as the jerk from side to side faster than your eyes can see?
Or maybe you stabbed the rear brake, becouse you are afraid to touch the front. You feel the rear wheel slide, and it will slide so easily while leaned, giving way, untill you realize that very soon you will fall unless something happens? So you let go of the brake only to find the bike jerk so hard it throws you off, like a rag doll, and no matter how strong you think you are, you got no say in it what so ever?
So what do you do when you are flyind head first into the pavement, and your motorcycle now behind you, just far enough, threatening to run you over right as you make contact?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode