250 Ninja good starter bike? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

250 Ninja good starter bike?

Hey guys, nice forum here. I look forward to learning a lot. Heres my story:

I'm 19, 5'9", about 150lbs, have lots of experience with snowmobiles, quads, and some limited dirt bike experience.

I would like to buy a sport bike for the fun factor, and riding it to work for gas savings would be nice.

A friend of mine started riding on a Ninja 250 and he said it was a great starter bike. He has now bought a 600, and sold the 250. I haven't riden a sport bike and havent riden a dirt bike w/ a clutch in years.

Do you guys recommend this as a starter bike? I dont need something to do 400 mph down the highway or anything, just something to have some fun on.

Any other recommendations or riding tips would be greatly appriciated. I'm hoping to find a nice 90's Ninja for sale this winter for a good deal and hopefully next spring start riding it. I figure by then I will be able to learn enough to take care of it and read enough about riding to not crash and kill myself.

I work on my car a lot and am positive I will have no problem taking care of my bike, my main concern is just riding the thing.

Any basic help would be great. Are there any other makers who make a nice 250 bike similar to the Ninja I could find for less than 2k? I'm always looking around. I'm not set on a Kawasaki or anything. I'm not brand specific (yet )

Thanks for any help. I look forward to posting some riding stories in the spring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 06:17 PM

Firstly, welcome to SBW!

It's refreshing to hear young fella's, like yourself, come onto this forum and ask realistic "first bike" questions.

The Ninja 250 is a great beginner bike. Enough power to have fun, but not so much as to get into trouble too easily. I learned on a '99 ZZR 250 (different fairings, but essentially the same bike), that my fiance is now riding. It'll do about 100mph, flat-out, and I'm 30lbs heavier than you. I can't give that bike enough praise.

Take the MSF course, buy some gear and take it easy.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Is there a website to find MSF courses in my area? I live in SE Michigan.

Are there any other 250 bikes I should look into besides the Ninja?

And yeah, I like to research everything before I jump right in. Especially something like bikes that can go extremely fast. I don't feel like killing myself this young.

Thanks for the info.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 02:42 PM

http://www.msf-usa.org/ for the MSF. Definitely take the course.

The Ninja 250 is an awesome first bike. I had one, and seriously miss the bike, I wouldn't mind eventually getting another to add. They're a lot of fun.

If you're looking for starter sportbikes, the common recommended bikes are either Ninja 250 or 500, Suzuki GS500, or even a Buell Blast. I'd go with the Ninja over the Buell, and I don't know much about the GS.

And here's a good site on the Ninja 250.
http://forums.ninja250.org/
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Wow, everyone is so helpful here. All the bikers around here are a bunch of a-holes.

Thanks guys. My grandpa is a big Buell guy (prob because he was firstly a big Harley guy), maybe he could find me a good deal on one. He has a badass 750 that he machines a bunch of Ti parts for at the machine shop he works at. He used to race motorcross when he was younger.

Anyway, that was rather off topic, lol. Thanks again. I think I would like to have the 250 over a 500, I've pretty much got my mind set on the 250 Ninja.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 04:23 PM

Okay, I'm confused. Just what does a "Ninja" look like? My understanding is that it differs from the ZZR, but then I just found a pic of a "Ninja" that looks just the same. Which one is available over there???

This is the Aussie ZZR:

This is a Ninja that looks identical:

This is a Ninja that looks completely different:

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 05:01 PM

Re: 250 Ninja good starter bike?

Quote:
Originally posted by TFin04
have lots of experience with snowmobiles, quads, and some limited dirt bike experience.

Welcome!

I'm going to offer a slightly different perspective...

I dunno, depending on the CC's, and HOW you ride the quads and smow-mo's, maybe a 500 is more appropriate, or even an SV650? If you're experienced at handling decent power, you might get bored of the 250 a bit quicker than someone with absolutely no experience. For example, let's say you ride a 600 cc quad balls-to-the-ball and you relatively know what you're doing, I'd say your likely to get bored of the 250 REAL quick...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cookeetree

This is a Ninja that looks completely different:

THAT'S what a Ninja 250 in the U.S. is...

...and it's been exactly the same for YEARS.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 05:09 PM

Can you get the ZZR?? It looks soooooo much better. This is exactly the same colours as the one my girl rides.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

My snowmobile is a 600, tricked out, it moves. The difference in falling off one of those is that I fall into nice fluffy snow, and have 4 layers of clothing on. They also have a lot more than just 2 wheels to balance on.

Frankly I'm timid of riding a bike, even though I really want one. I'm sure I'll become more comfortable with it after I ride it some.

I want the 250 because its light, I have very limited dirtbike experience, and I dont want something that 'can' move fast enough for me to injure myself. (I know I can do plenty on a 250, but you get my point). Plus a 250 is in my price range, better on gas (I know, not by much, but still). One of the reasons I want to buy one is my 30+ mile trip to work every day. With a bike I'll use like 1/4th the gas I'm using now.

I just feel more comfortable w/the 250. Thanks for the thought though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode