what gear to buy? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Question what gear to buy?

im starting riding in about 3 months, and i was wondering what gear (other than a helmet) is worth buying, keeping in mind im a student and dont have loads of spare cash. i was thinkin about a jacket and gloves and just wear jeans, but iv heard if you crash in jeans your screwed. so is it worth it to go for leather trousers and some boots too, bearing in mind im not doin too many long trips?

any ideas anyone? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 07:20 PM

Long trip or short ride to the store, I wear a helmet of course, jacket (leather or textile), riding gloves, and boots. I still have to work on wearing something other than jeans although I do have a pair of Joe Rocket overpants I wear when the weather gets chilly. You don't have to break the bank on gear, just get some good quality stuff to keep you safe.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 03:56 AM

Bigest thing I'll suggest is, no matter what gear you buy, make sure it fits you properly and is comfortable to wear. becasue if it doesnt fit properly then it probably wont protect you as well as it could (this is a definite for helmets). And if its not comfortable, then your mind will make it really easy to just leave it behind.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 06:18 AM

If you are on a tight budget, forego the leathers and go for textiles. They dont protect as well, or rather they arent as reusable, but they are a great deal cheaper, and do offer a good degree of protection. Check out last years models as well. They are much cheaper, but just as good.
In my opinion gloves are the most important piece of gear next to helmet. Road rash on arms and back sucks, but you hands are likely to be the first thing to hit the ground, tendants are right under the skin, they dont heal well, and having messed up hands will severly limit the quality of life at least for 6 months
If you havent already, I highly recommend checking this store out

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 07:16 AM

Wow those prices even on leather are pretty good. I am hopping to get a full set of gear for under $1k. Looks very possible.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 07:30 AM

you can easily get a whole suit for under 1k. check out their closeouts for even better prices. Plus I cannot speak highly enough of their customer support. It is literally the best of any online store I've ever seen.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 07:43 AM

How does joe rocket compare to alpine star in quality and general popularity. I like the alpine stars attire, but Joe rocket is ok looking and cheaper. I want to get a jacket, pants (2 pc suit?), boots, and if I have enough money left over a helmet with better ventalation. Right now im riding with a hjc $100 one.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 07:51 AM

I would definetly invest in a better helmet. My expirience is that you get what you paid for. Right now I got me a new shoie RF1000, and I love it. Ran me less than $300, it is much better than the RF900 I had before, and its silly to even compare it to my first BELL, which was a $60 piece of sh*t. Suprisingly, I didnt find increase ventilation in helmets such a good thing. More vents tend to cause a great deal more noise, without actually cooling me down much. To me the greatest qualities in a helmet are light weight, comfort, low noise, and aerodynamic stability. Suprisingly wind noise tires a rider more than any other aspect of riding.

As for joe rocket vs alpine star, while joe rocket is good, it is not nearly the same quality. In my expirience they concentrate more on providing a "cool" look, and a cheap price than they do on protection. That is not to say they make bad products, becouse they are good. But alpine star is better.
Personally I'm a technik (sp?) fan.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 07:57 AM

I will probably go with all alpine star then. Almost forgot the gloves too . As for my helmet it doesnt bother me in anyway beside being to hot when the shield is closed. Extra wind noise isnt an issue either as I plan to start wearing ear plugs after reading one of the threads around here talking aboug loosing your hearing .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode