No Experience - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
scb

No Experience

Hello everyone my name is Sean. I am 19, 6'3 and just under 200 pounds. I really have no riding experience, but I've been drooling over street bikes since i was 16. I recently moved out and I am looking for a more [gas] efficient way of traveling, as opposed to my big dumb truck. I have a suzuki dealership near my house and I have been eyeing the GSX-R series,
although I have heard they are for experienced riders. Can someone please give me some suggestions on other bikes I should look into? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 10:17 AM

Check out the SV650. If you want to full on looks, look at the 650S model with the optional fairing

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
Check out the SV650. If you want to full on looks, look at the 650S model with the optional fairing
+1

Great bike, and sounds nice to boot!

Oh yeah, and take the MSF course...

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 01:30 PM

oops cant believe I forgot to mention the MSF course... A few hundred bucks (state dependant) and they will provide the bike! just go, ride around some cones in the parking lot, and at the end of the day you got your liscence... cant beat that...not even with a stick

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 01:41 PM

"oops cant believe I forgot to mention the MSF course..." -
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 01:51 PM

Your mama

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 02:02 PM

You will NOT find many m/cs to be THAT big of a fuel saver as some claim. Now a different story if you ar in top gear & on the hwys most of the time.

Still take a look at the Suzy & Kawasaki 500cc vertical twins that offer a REGULAR riding position & are even easier on fuel, plus being ideal for a beginner along with the fact that they are darn good for in town riding.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
You will NOT find many m/cs to be THAT big of a fuel saver as some claim. Now a different story if you ar in top gear & on the hwys most of the time.
I'm in utter disagreement. I got a zx10 (a gas hog by bike standarts), and an f150 V6 (economical for a full size truck). I go thru a tank of gas a week in either vehicle. tank of gas in the zx10 $8.00 tank of gas in the F150 $50.00.

Now if you happened to own a focus or a civic, then the gas savings arent that apparent...

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
scb

i own a v6 f150 lol. I looked up the bike you reccommended on ebay and it seems very affordable. Now, just so im clear, should I stay away from the gsxr? You say look for a bike with a REGULAR riding position. Is the gsxr riding position uncomfortable?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 05:35 AM

gixxer (GSX-R) dont make a very good first bike. The riding position is less comfy, but thats not the real reason. They are very twitchy. Hey, they are made to respond very quickly to the lightning quick reflexes of a professional. That means they take an unintended imput from an amature and execute it before he realized that he made an imput. Touchy beasts. Once you develop the muscle memmory to ride a bike, check them out. Before that, better stay away. Most of our innate reflexes are the exact opposite of what it takes to ride a bike.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode