Riding Dry/Wet - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Riding Dry/Wet

What are the dangers of riding on wet road compared to riding on dry road? Also include any other wet/dry safety tips please .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 08:53 AM

They are SLICK! the most innocent acceleration will send your rear tire spinning. A mild hint of throttle in a corned can throw your back end out and dump you on the pavement (But incidentally, wet pavement wont hurt as bad falling on it. It will still hurt). Brakes lock up easy as well. Front wheel will try to wash out to one side under moderate braking. If it does, let go of the brake and reapply. Try using the rear brake more. If it locks the conciquences arent as dramatic.
In addition wet disks present an interesting danger. As you come down on the brakes, the water lubricates the pads, thus braking is almost non existant. The common reaction is to apply more brake, which will quickly dry up the rotor and then lock the wheel up. If you do ride in the rain, try applying the brakes just a tad every minute or so. You're not looking to slow down, just dry up the rotor.
Other dangers include low visibility, fogging visor, and increased chance of tire puncture since sharp rocks and nails are now lubricated and can cut thru rubber easier.

In short, avoid if at all possible.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Hmm, guess its worse than I had anticipated.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 10:15 AM

Its not impossible. I've ridden in rain countless times. But it is more dangerous. As in dangerous enough to just be riding without trying any shanenigans. Its also absolutely no fun. Large raindrops downright hurt when they hit you. your mind gets exhausted quickly from having to pay attention to everything thats going on. Rain gets everywhere, inside your gloves, or soaking your underwear. Cages think its amusing to splash you.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 12:52 PM

Geez, Vash, getting a bit soft, aren't you?

If you wear the appropriate gear, you won't get wet. I wear textile pants / jacket and my gloves, although getting wet on the outside, stay dry inside. Also, my pants fasten on the side, stopping water from getting into my jocks.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

I don't really care about getting wet. I am just wondering if it is as hard to keep the bike upright as one might think, without experience in the rain.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
Its not impossible. I've ridden in rain countless times. But it is more dangerous. As in dangerous enough to just be riding without trying any shanenigans. Its also absolutely no fun. Large raindrops downright hurt when they hit you. your mind gets exhausted quickly from having to pay attention to everything thats going on. Rain gets everywhere, inside your gloves, or soaking your underwear. Cages think its amusing to splash you.
What a pussy.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 01:21 PM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally posted by slick1537
I don't really care about getting wet. I am just wondering if it is as hard to keep the bike upright as one might think, without experience in the rain.
Its not about getting wet so much as having LOTS and LOTS of pin needle pricks hitting whatever exposed body part you have. And if your clothes are wet you'll get very cold in a hurry, which has its own risks associated.

Rain also drains your ability to concentrate significantly b/c you're concentrating on the weather risks in addition to all the other normal risks.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cookeetree
If you wear the appropriate gear, you won't get wet.
BS. It just has to rain enough. I was traveling down to new brondfiels (sp?) it rained on and off the whole way there. The closer I got, the worst the rain got. 30 miles away, the rain was getting THICK. cars that past me actually had a wake behind them. Not a spray, but a wake, like a boat. There were a few inches of water on the road, even tho it was running off. The only reason I didnt stop was becouse I was following a truck that had directions. Obviously they didnt think it was too bad, trailering their bikes and all.

Anyways, I was in full leathers, 2piece, gloves, boots, the whole nine yards. When we finally arrived at our destination, I literally poured water out of my gloves. Shirt and socks were soaked. The most disconcerning feeling by far is when were cold water makes its way to my boxers. Can ya say shrinkage?

Elaine, do women know about shrinkage?

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 02:49 PM

I have opted to ride my bike on some days when it was certain to rain pretty hard. I will admit that I still have mixed feelings about those rides. On one hand, because of various limitations, I rejoice at every opportunity to ride. On the other hand, I felt like I was pushing my luck those times. I did not enjoy getting my feet wet from the wake my front wheel was generating (or my ass puckering at the thought of how much water I was pushing through). I did not enjoy getting my leather gloves and my feet soaked. My faceshield and glasses getting foggy was outright scary when visibility was already reduced due to heavy rain.

I do choose to ride in the rain anyway sometimes, just because I want to have that experience from my deliberate decisions, rather than having to figure it out when caught by accident for the first time. Little by little I have been adding more waterproof gear to my collection.

My wife got to ride in the rain for the first time a couple of days ago. She said she felt "empowered" by that experience, since she made it home after dark when it was pouring. I doubt she will ever leave home without checking weather forecast first again, though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode