Isurance - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Isurance

Even though I hate the idea of an isurance company gouging me out of my money and never getting anything back in returne if nothing goes wrong, I need to know some good places to get insurance for a new bike. Supposed to be picking up a brand new Ninja ZX-6R tomorow, but the deal is gonna be a no go if i get anymore quotes like the $7000 for a year number I got from Geico, (for about $1200 more I could have paid the bike off). So what company do you have and waht kind fo rate did you get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 07:32 PM

my insurance

I'm picking up a bike within two weeks. My quote from State Farm for full coverage was $410 annually. I'm 21 and the quote was for a '04 600cc bike.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

I imagine this isnt your first bike though.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 08:50 PM

There is no way to compare prices seeing as how it's different for all locations and circumstances always vary.

The insurance axis of evil is going to hit you and hit you hard. If you can't make ends meet, riding a death rocket isn't for you. At least not until you turn 25 and get married and have 15 kids.

Best of luck to ya.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Loud412
I imagine this isnt your first bike though.
I imagine this will be your first? Do yourself a favor and hold off on that brand new bike. While I don't think the insurance companies take into account the years of motorcycle experience you have, they do charge you more for newer bikes. The more it will cost them to total your bike if you crash, the higher will be your premium, right? Also, they will use your age to consider the risk factors. Older=cheaper insurance. Married=cheaper insurance. Home + auto with the same company = cheaper motorcycle insurance. State Farm=cheaper motorcycle insurance.

I am still riding out my first bike, and probably will for some years to come. That's just a financial fact for me. The bike has been dropped at least 5 times since I started riding it, 2 of those times by my wife. I just know how salty I would be if the bike was not around 10 years old and did not have previous scratches and dents. I've been able to kick it, cuss it, and spit on it each time it fell, then pick it up and keep riding it. I'm yet to spend any money to cover up the damages. The most effort I spent was to straghten out the turn signal that got bent. Sure I'm a chepskate and perhaps I should take more pride in my bike's appearance. But, then again, I only pay $73 per year with liability-only coverage, and I ride the shit out of my bike every chance I get, and I have little to complain about.

Did that make any sense?

Sideways, I don't believe the insurance takes into account the number of your kids. I do know that it makes a difference to me when I think about doing something really stupid. Sometimes, anyway...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 12:03 AM

Well also you guys must be carrying full collision and comp. Those quotes are like 4 times more than my bike cost me . I only paid $310 for a full year of insurance, and im 18.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Well i got a better quot from progressive yesterday. They quoted me $3K for the year which isnt too bad. Thats about what I was paying for full coverage on my mustang. I'm gonna cal state farm today on my lunch brake and see what they say. Actualy there is an agent around the corner from my office so I might just go and see them.

As far as I know the only time the number of kids you have comes into effect is if they are of driving age.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 10:50 AM

I forgot to mention that unlike some other insurance companies, State Farm does not penalize you for having a sportbike. They base your premium on engine displacement, therefore you'd pay about the same premium whether you had a 600cc cruiser or 600cc sportbike. Probably sucks to insure that Rocket III!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 12:23 PM

correct

He is absolutely right about state farm not penalizing you for having a sport bike, I actually couldn't believe them when they told me my quote and called back to confirm it. Call around, I woldn't pay three grand for insurance.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 06:54 PM

State Farm does have good rates for bikes, but they insist on having an auto on the policy too. They gave me a good quote for my bike, but wanted way more to insure my truck than what Allstate Property and Casualty charges me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode