f4 or f4i - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 02:47 AM Thread Starter

f4 or f4i

I've been doing some more shopping around for bikes and the bikes that are currently catching my eye are the honda 600 f4s and newer f4is. They seem to have what I want in that they are still fast and handle well, yet are a little more comfortable then a full race-replica bike. Most importantly I've been told that they make decent beginner bikes because they have a smoother power band and not quite as touchy as a 600rr or equivalent.

I know this isn't the ninja 250 or 500 that make "perfect" starter bikes but will I "put my eye out" like if I started on the '05 r1 in raven black I so badly want?

Opinions, helpful advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 06:15 AM

Check out the sv650...

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

mmmm...

I've ridden the sv650's and I don't think that is the bike I'm looking for. But can anyone tell me anything about the f4i, specifically for a new rider?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 01:25 PM
Strength and Honor

It is not recommended, generally. The f4 is a better choice given only the two options, but not by much (as I've been told).

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 03:37 PM

They're both very popular bikes and though not considered beginner bikes, I think they would be fine. You just have to respect the power of any machine like that. I learned to ride on a ZX-10 and I can tell you it could be docile and economic, or brutally fast. You just need to beware of your limits. A 600 is nothing like a 1000. Between the f4 and f4i you need to consider the issue of fuel injection vs carbs. If the bike will sit alot for longer periods, (like 2 months in the winter) it may be less problematic to go with fuel injection. I could be wrong on this so someone please correct me but I know carbs can be a bitch when they develop problems.
Good luck
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 11:30 PM

Get the F4i...was my first bike and was quite easy on me....dont be a dumbass and push your limits...ride safe, wear gear...try not to stunt till you know the bike like the back of your hand...and you might live more than a year....this stuff about "start with a 37cc bike that costs so much you cant afford a real bike for many, many years" is crap if you ask me...just dont push your luck and a 600 is a PERFECT bike for almost anyone
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 12:03 AM

this newb's gotta post

I've been ridin' a 600 f4i every chance I get for a whoppin' 6 weeks now but my buddy (who's been riding for 6 years) has an F4. So far so good. Now mind you I have almost been thrown of the back of this sucker twice. So I respect and still love this bike. Both have power though. The difference is (besides skill) that even in warm sunny San Diego, I can get on and ride. But my friend with the F4 has to sometimes wait for his bike to warm up. I see that you live in Seattle where it gets much colder. I might move up there next year so I'm gonna stick with the fuel injected.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by akcbr
Get the F4i...was my first bike and was quite easy on me....dont be a dumbass and push your limits...ride safe, wear gear...try not to stunt till you know the bike like the back of your hand...and you might live more than a year....this stuff about "start with a 37cc bike that costs so much you cant afford a real bike for many, many years" is crap if you ask me...just dont push your luck and a 600 is a PERFECT bike for almost anyone
I would have to agree with you about the starting engine size. I usually just don't say anything because most people around here have ridden much much longer than myself.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 07:28 AM

I'm a big proponent of starter bikes, but not becouse of engine size. Rather its the aggressive geometry of race replicas that I find dangerous. Touchy throttle, rear wheels that lock of on downshifts, headshakes. that sort of thing. most bikes will streighten after you stop pushing on the bar, race reps just fall and have to be brought back up. All this can overwhelm a new rider quickly.
But honestly the most important quality in a starter is that it should be cheap. Paint is going to get scratched, signals are going to get broke, and the tank is going to get some dings on it. Its just life.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2005, 09:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to duessel
F4 feels much heavier than the F4i.

F4 is not fuel injected. F4i is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode