which bike - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

which bike

quick question for y'all. i am a new rider, and i am trying to decide which bike i want to get. i am debating on the new cbr600rr, or the new r6. any help would be great. oh yeah, i am 5'9", 160lbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 09:45 AM

Do a search, yours is the most commonly asked question on the board. Personally I recommend against either of the bikes you mentioned, unless you got a few thouthand miles under your belt. Race replica's are "twitchy" and can get a new rider in trouble very quickly (they tend to act faster than you can think. Once you develop muscle memmory, you can hang, but at first a rider can end up on the ground before he even realized he made a mistake)
There are however several good started bikes. The 250/500 ninja's and gs500 are both good, but abit lacking in sex appeal. On the plus side, you can sell them for what you paid for them after a few thouthand miles, so no loss there. The SV650 is one of my all time favorite starters, becouse its easy to handle at first, but still offers enough not to be outgrown (Its actually one of the most popular track bikes), the F4i is also a choice to consider.

If at all possible, try to buy a used first bike. Chances are very high that you will drop it. No offense meant here, we all did that. A used bike isnt going to hurt your wallet and ego nearly as bad when it gets some scratches on it.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 06:32 PM

Yea I havent been riding very long but needless to say I never though I would drop my bike. I dropped my bike and damaged the semi new paintjob/fairings when I was totally stopped and the engine was off. Put the kick stand down to get off, but I guess it wasnt all the way down the and bike just rolled over. Pretty embarrasing. I would definatly get a used bike to start though.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-27-2005, 01:43 PM

Interesting thing is slick is not the first that is for sure. There are a maze of us, even with yrs of experience, that have dropped our bikes at almost nil or actual nil speeds & UNFORTUNATELY the darn ABS plastics on the bike cost almost as much as gold plating not to mention possibly a few other outside products that were broken or damaged like signal light, mirror, hand lever & such.

It seems, no matter what you do, with a new bike you always seem to drop it a time or two EVEN if it is your 8th or 20th m/c in some 10-20 plus yrs of riding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode