Bike Mileage - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

Question Bike Mileage

Can somebody explain how to tell if the bike has decent miles on the odometer?

how many miles per year should I expect to be put on a bike?

and what is considered "high mileage" for a motorcycle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 07:30 AM

odo. readings can be tricky and hard to tell fo they are off a few thousand or so. If your concerned that it is not correct or that the odo has been replaced then, I look for wear and tear on the bike. Look at the grips, if they are the origional ones they will wear. Also depending on the bike, the seat can tell some story also. If the bike says 5K miles but the grips are work way down and the seat looks worn then it may be off. Also other signs of wear on my bike are the pegs and shifter knob they have rubber on them and it shows that they have had lots of use. Other than rippin the enging apart and riding it, it's hard to tell.

The title should tell the real story also.

Just my

As for average miles... Depends where you live how long the riding season is. I live in Maine and I have friends that put on 1K a year, I personally put on about 7500 so far this year, but I ride every day it isn't raining. Most bikes that are maintained well, oil, service, not abused, etc. are fine on the origional engine up over 50K mi, with modern sportbikes.

Last edited by mainerdr; 08-18-2005 at 07:33 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 08:47 AM

Most bike will handle 100k miles with proper maintanance, but its easy to kill a bike in 10k if you dont know what an oil change is. My advice would be to look at the shape of the bike, and the state of the wear items, to see what sort of abuse it has been under.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 01:29 PM

High mileage = any miles put on without proper mainenance.

Most casual riders would put about 2k a year on a bike over the summer.

Those who ride hardcore (all year) will put anywhere from 10k and up per year.

A while back I had an offer on a ninja 500 that had 60k miles on it. But it was taken very well care of.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2005, 11:30 AM

truth of the "12,000 miles is high milage for a bike" is that it is only high because most bikes dont last long. Not because of mechanical failure, but because it is too easy and common to total a $4000 machine at 75mph.

the bike will last, its the wreck that is usually the problem
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2005, 06:04 PM

I know someone who had his F3 up to 78k+ miles on the odo, and he even used it on the track. It ran just as good as day 1 and the only reason he sold it is because he upgraded to a 600RR.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2005, 11:56 PM

mainly the reasons why 12K+ miles are considered high for bikes because of the selling price. there are quite a few bikes out there that are in good condition but with lower mileage and could be equally priced or less than that particular 12k bike. so generally, buyers tend to go for the bike with lesser mileage. you're more likely to trade and upgrade to another bike than take it over 100K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode