96 and up ZX7R, returning rider question - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

96 and up ZX7R, returning rider question

Hello everyone. I am looking into getting my first sportbike (not my first bike) and am considering the 96 and up Kawasaki ZX7R. From what I understand this is a bike some consider "heavy", but the weight helps to make the bike very stable in the corners. I am 6 foot and weigh 235lbs. so the weight doesn't seem like and issue to me. I have also read that the throttle response is much less twitchy than a 600SS making it a little more forgiving than a new 600. These factors make the bike seem very appealing to me, along with the styling of the bike. But the 100+ hp rating has me a little concerned that I may be getting in over my head.

I am a returning rider, I rode for a while years ago in my early 20s (I'm now in my late 20s approaching 30). I approached returning to riding as if I were completely new and I took the MSF course. It was a great refresher and I got rid of some bad riding habbits I used to have. I have spoken with a few others online who learned to ride on the ZX7 and said it was a great bike, very stable. While others say that it isn't the worst choice, but not the best either for my new bike. I'd like to hear from people who have experience with this bike and get your opinions. Is this too much bike for someone with what amounts now to "limited" experience? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 11:38 AM

IMO you should stay under 96 if you are going to be riding a 750cc Kawasaki made great learner bikes in 1990-1992. I have multiple friends who started out on this exact bike. Cheap to insure and you don't have to worry about wheel spin while excelerating through a corner. Also, you want to keep in mind that chances are you WILL drop or crash the bike. You can pick up one of these for around $2K-$3K with decent miles, making it less painful on the pocket book when it happens.

With the power / weight ratio: it makes it a great bike to learn on and should accomadate you height if the suspension is set all the way up in the rear.

Good luck and just don't overdue it on your first bike.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by twist the wrist
IMO you should stay under 96 if you are going to be riding a 750cc Kawasaki made great learner bikes in 1990-1992.
With the power / weight ratio: it makes it a great bike to learn on and should accomadate you height if the suspension is set all the way up in the rear.

Good luck and just don't overdue it on your first bike.
Thanks for your input. It will definitely be taken into consideration. But , just to be clear, this isn't going to be my first bike. My first "sportbike" yes, but I have had a triumph bobber, an old cb400, and even a '47 HD chopper with a panhead. But since I have been out of the saddle for a few years I definitely want to be a little more cautious than just juping right back in with a liter bike. I also picked the 96 and up beacuse in this area I can find them for sale, the older ones are much harder to come by. Thanks again!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 04:49 PM

My 2003 7R is my first sportbike after having ridden cruisers for my first few years of riding. To be honest, when I first drove it off the lot I thought I had made a huge mistake and was over my head. However, after a week of getting used to the control positions, riding posture, and power of the "new" style of bike, it was no problem at all. The ZX7Rs are a bit heavy from what I've read, but as a first sportbike it has plenty of power and is very forgiving. Good luck and have fun.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I think I may be leaning towards the ZX7. There are a few of them for sale in the area, and they seem to be readily available, unlike a lot of other bikes. I'm also considering some early 90's GSXR600 and 750. I have to broaden my search beacuse every good condition "good starter" sportbike (EX500 Ninja and Suzy GS550) in the area are being turned into race only bikes. This speaks volumes for the capability of these "little" bikes. It's just too bad I can't find a decent one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode