Marker Lights in NY? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Marker Lights in NY?

I just bought a 1994 Katana 750 from a friend. I am totally new to riding and this is my first bike. Ive taken pretty quickly to it and ride all the time. However my question comes with how legal my bike is. I live in upstate New York. Do the marker lights (the front blinkers) need to always be lit when the key is turned, or do they only have to light up when you are signaling a turn. The guy I bought the bike from gave me the bulbs and the flush mounts to put on myself since he had just installed new fairings and told me that they are always suppose to be lit. After wiring them many different ways (via the 3 wires for each blinker) I still couldnt get them to light up. Don't get me wrong, they work fine for signaling, but they do not light up while im riding and not signaling. I am just confused because some of my friends say they are suppose to be, yet my g/f sister just got a brand new suzuki 550 and the front blinkers dont light up when the key is turned. I am sorry if this sounds confusing to anyone, it is confusing to me. Thanks for any responses. I also look forward to being part of such a good community.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 06:28 PM

I don't think that regulation in regards to lighting would vary from state to state. Most sportbikes I have seen only light the blinkers when signaling a turn. My wife's Savage 650 (a small cruiser) has those lights on in the front all the time, flashing when signaling a turn (duh!). The rear turn signals are off except for turning. So it may be a cruiser thing, trying to imitate those triple headlights on Harleys or something like that. Some people may be wiring sportsbikes like that for cool effect, but I seriously doubt there is a law requiring them to be on.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 08:32 AM

My flushmounts are always on.. I didn't put them on though so I don't know what the deal is. They're pretty bright though so I don't mind having the extra lighting at night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode