new rider with question - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

new rider with question

Hey all i just started riding recently on an old 500 interceptor. So far ive loved the bike and it as been great to learn. I was wondering if a move to an early 90s 600 f4 r6 type sporbike would be too much of a jump. I should have about a years experience by then. If this would be too large of a jump could anyone recommend a newer looking bike? これ輪いいですか 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 12:31 AM

a 600cc bike would not be to big of a jump at all. i have been riding atv's and dirtbikes (nothing over a 250) all my life and when i hit the age of 14 (14 years ago) i stopped riding altogether. i just bought my first street bike july 28th and its a 998cc bike(cbr 1000rr) and despite all the stories i heard from people its not to big of bike for me at all. im very very comfortable on it and very easy to ride. so once again, if your comfortable on the 500, a 600 will be fine for you.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 03:54 AM Thread Starter

thx for advice.
as a curious noob question does anyone else find it odd that japanese sportbikes are popular while in japan harley davidsons are in and sportbikes are almost nonexistant? might just be me tho

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 05:36 AM

grass is greener

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-14-2005, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Munch1324
thx for advice.
as a curious noob question does anyone else find it odd that japanese sportbikes are popular while in japan harley davidsons are in and sportbikes are almost nonexistant? might just be me tho
QUOTE]Originally posted by Munch1324
thx for advice.
[/QUOTE]

I was stationed at Yokota AB, Japan in Fussa-shi, Tokyo. There was a Harley dealership, full of $35-50 K (equivalent) bikes, and the few Japanese that had them were all of the same "I am easy rider, I wear shades and a little helmet..." attitude crap. The upturned nose has appeared even in the usually meek and wise Japanese. Oh, the corruption...

At any rate, I saw a lot of ZRXs, Hayabussas, CBRs, ZXs, YZFs, GSX-Rs, you name 'em. Hell, I even saw a '73 Kawasaki Z1 (the engine cases were black...and this was the "900", not the "750" "Z2" the Japanese govt limited it's citizens to...), in the rootbeer/orange paint scheme it was so well known for, and it was fully TRICKED OUT!!! I mean, braided steel lines everywhere, huge oil cooler, giant discs front and rear, no dust, dirt, not a scratch on it. It was CLEAN. It might have even been bored out to 1000ccs or more, I just could not determine it at the time. The best-looking '70s bike I have ever seen with my own two eyes, hands down. Never got a chance to meet the Japanese fellow who sunk so many thousands of yen into it, however. He was definiately a man of discerning taste, my kind of guy.

Anyway, in Japan, Harleys are a STATUS SYMBOL. Much like having an overpriced, overrated, MV Agusta F4, or any Ducati you care to name here in the States. It is just status, that is all. That does not mean it is better. Just like an Acura (Honda) NSX is a much better car than a Ferrari F430 (it needs LOTS of maintenance...). Hell, even the late F-body Camaro is a status symbol in Japan because to afford any car with such a huge engine in Japan, you have to be yakuza, or rich, or both. We all know the Camaro is okay at best, compared to a 300ZX twin turbo, Toyota MR2 turbo, etc, etc, etc, all much better, and much cheaper. Such is the case with H-D bikes in the Land of the Ever-Rising RPM...

There are even some fools in Japan that like Buells, and think they can take their own country's 600s! lol Even their best liter bikes! How is that for ignorant?! A maxed-out Buell, with all the parts you can put on it cannot come close to a 600 four from any Japanese manufacturer you care to name. Even if it could, it would be a futile point: for the money you just spent on your crappy Buell, you could have bought a new F4...a TRUE status symbol worth appreciating...but still VERY overrated and unreliable just the same.

Sorry, but give me an '05 R1 in shift red, thanks.

Shameless Japanophile since 1997...

Last edited by 2005Ninja250R; 08-14-2005 at 01:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode