a new rider who needs help quick. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

a new rider who needs help quick.

hi everyone, I'm a new rider. I already took and passed the MSF course. I bought a brand new sv650s 3 weeks ago as a first bike. It is a great learner bike, I'm really enjoying it but I have one problem, after about 20 minutes of riding my back hurts so much and forces me to stop and strech. Oh! did I say my right wrist is also killing me. So, are those things nornal? will the pain go away after a month or so? Even my sister was complaining of back pain today just from riding on my back. Do i have to put up with this misery in order to enjoy a sportbike? If any one is facing those problems let me know or if any of you guys have advice please help me, I would like to keep on riding all my life.
ps: anyone in Boston,MA here. I would like have people to ride with sometimes.

Thank you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 10:59 PM

The SV is not anywhere near the stance of a sportbike

what i've heard, is you need to try and support your body with you lower back and abs more, now this dosent seem to help you much, but i think that youll get used to it after a short bit

as for your wrist, ease up on the grips, use a light hold on the bars, dont need to squeeze them (this is what most others say, correct me if i'm wrong on any of this)

also, i havent been able to sit on an SV, but try laying down on the tank, that should alleiviate some of the problems, or at least provide occasional relief

just curious, have you ever before done anything else that would have you hunched over in that position? if not, then it may just be getting your muscles acclamated to that position

also, if you can (and want to) try riding a buddies bike for a bit, something different than yours, see if its just the bike
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DieSonne
The SV is not anywhere near the stance of a sportbike

Actually the S version has a full on sportbike ergonomics with clip-ons that rest under the triple clamp and higher footpegs. What you're probably thinking of is the naked version with regular handle bars, which is much comfier.

Anyway, what I do to take the weight off the wrists is sit a bit closer to tank and keep my arms as horizontal as possible, without locking the elbow. This means that my grips are much firmer but relaxed, no death grips, makes it easier for throttle control and steering the bike. I put most of the weight on the footpegs and sometimes grab the tank with my knees. But generally when I'm crusing on straight roads, mostly I alternate positions on where I sit, putting the weight on the front or rear, because if I don't move, eventually things start to become sore.

But always, I try to keep my arms horizontal to take off any pressure, this way I never get aching wrists. Eventually in a hour or so, my legs cramp up, so alternating positions help. And eventually, you get used to some of the pain. So try keep the weight off the wrists and carry it through stomach muscles and keep the back and shoulders relaxed, never stiffen up. Lying the abdomen on tank also helps.

Last edited by Z_Fanatic; 08-03-2005 at 11:12 PM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Thank you guys for your advices. If anyone else wants to add anything please feel free to do so.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 05:48 AM

Make sure your elbows arent locked, and dont deathgrip the bars. The grip on the bars should be about as forcefull as one would use to hold a sponge without squeesing the water out of it. A light touch is all it takes. For stability, squize the tank with your legs.
SVS has pretty harsh ergonomics, which is something mags complained about at its release (that it doesnt provide enough performance to justify the ergos) personally I think its a way to introduce people.
Still if you are a tall guy, and if you're not in too good of a shape, the ergo's can be a pain. Stop often and stretch, you'll get used to them eventually, but it might take a while. If you havent already, hit the gym, it pays dividents in riding (both in comfort, and speed)
Should all this fail, there are also risers out there (I believe heli-bars is one of the brand names) that will ease the riding position. However I would wait to see if your body gets used to it.

Good luck and enjoy your ride.

P.S
I have no idea about the back seat. I climbed on mine once, with the bike on the stand, and I havent the slightest idea how anyone rides back there. Looks scary as sh*t.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 05:58 AM
Strength and Honor

Be certain to keep your back straight. That should help alleviate back issues.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 06:48 AM

You are probably using muscles in a way they have never been used before. In time your body will adapt.

One thing you can do to help your back is crunches. A strong stomach provides stability for your whole body and if your back ever gives you problems in any walk of life one of the best things you can do is strengthen your stomach.

As far as your wrists go, grab the tank with your knees when you are stopping or slowing, this is the only time your wrists should have any real weight on them, your torso and legs are what should be supporting your body weight. When you ride you should be able to take a hand off the bar at any time without effecting your body position, if you can't you are on your wrists too much without enough body support.

Listen to all the advice from everyone in this thread, and just ride. Your body will get use to it and will relax also. I am betting your body is a bit tight being a new rider.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 01:48 PM

The chaps above have pretty well given you all the advise I could. Still look at it this way that I am an old sod of 75yrs of age & have been using the lean forward riding position since around late '48. So if I can do it then so can you.

Also this is why I try to advise people to NOT go for the SV-650S, but the SV-650 due to a more sensible riding position especially for anyone new to riding or accustom to a regular riding position.

Still pretty hard to point this out when their eyes & mind are glazed on the racy appearance of a m/c.

Last edited by Smitty; 08-10-2005 at 01:50 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Once again thank you guys. I'm so proud to be part of this family. Job well done, keep up the good work.
pouchy007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode