New rider question about helmets.. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

New rider question about helmets..

Hello. I just purchased from a friend a ninja 250. I was afraid I would destroy myself on a 600. Anyways on to my question about helmets. Are the size of helmets always about the same? I don't mean the padding underneath but the overall size of the helmet. I have a small head and frame and I don't really want a huge helmet that's uncomfortable. Any recommendations on what I should buy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 06:46 AM

Most manufacturers make 2 (sometimes 3) sizes of outer shells. They adjust the ammount of foam inside to change the fitting size.
Shell size varies from manufacturer to manufacture. Shoei's for example used to be huge, but not so with their latest RF1000.
When picking a helmet, find the smallest helmet that you can put on. If the cheekpads make you look like a chipmunk, dont worry about it, extra $15 and you can get different ones.
The reason is multiplefold. A tighter helmet will obviously protect you better. And helmets break in, as in the get larger on the inside over the first couple of months. The looser the helmet, the more windnoise it will generate, and the more buffeting it will exhibit at speed.
Wind noise is the no. 1 couse of getting tired on long rides, and buffeting is incredibly annoying.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 07:40 AM

to make it simple...

too loose at high speeds the helmet will shake side to side, very annoying and unsafe.

too tight, your head will hurt!

It's important to find on that fits snugly. Like Vash stated they will push your cheeks in and make you look like a fatty... that's good. It will mold to your head face shape and then fit like a glove. Just be sure that it is not so tight that it pinches your ears or doesn't fit down on your head all the way.

I would suggest KBC. They have always been good to me. A helmet is a wise investment don't skimp!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 02:18 PM

Also the shape of the head of some helmets are quite different like oval or for square heads like myself.

Best thing is to keep your price DOWN on your first bike & as your get into riding you will learn more about how helmets should fit. A season or two from now you can go up in price if your realize the helmet you purchased was not up to snuff or you did not take proper care of it. Buying a top like helmet could be costly if you made an error or did not take care of it right from the start.

So helmets are a bike like riding m/cs in that you have to learn things with your first helmet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode