954 as a First bike - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Talking 954 as a First bike

I hate to sound like your stereotypical cocky first rider, but I want to tell you my story, and see what you think. I rode a buddies Katana 600 for a good 10 seat hours and started to feel confident with the bike and riding. I was also starting to feel bored and hungry for power. This leads me to buying a Honda. a 94 900rr with a 954 and 98 fairings. I just absolutely love the way the bike looks and hondas are rare up here. What can you recommend as to starting off on this bike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 11:02 PM

I recommend you have a valid Last Will and Testament.

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 04:44 AM

Re: 954 as a First bike

Quote:
Originally posted by morganater
. I rode a buddies Katana 600 for a good 10 seat hours and started to feel confident with the bike and riding. I was also starting to feel bored and hungry for power.

hungry for power and u know waht they say about power that it corupts but in bikeing cases it kills u and the inosent family in teh car behind u that have to swerve to miss ur body on the ground after u come off at 70mph and hit a car. then that car that has swerved to miss u then goes onto the mediem flips over and rolls then hits a crash barrier at about 80mph killing the driver and passenger instantly then while bursting into flames the baby in the back seat then slowly burns to death

moral of the story stick with a600 for a year or so no 10 hours if gona give u tht real feeling and a 900 is a huge jump

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 06:27 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
I don't think 10 hours is adequate to justify jumping to a literbike as a first. Most people wait a few seasons, and some never make the jump as they are happy with the 600 class. Is it impossible to start on a literbike? No, people have done it. It still doesn't make it a good idea. Get a 600 from one of the big four, it'll be plenty and will feel (and be) more powerful than your buddy's Katana.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 06:37 AM

Sorry bro, 10 hours isnt enough time to figure out whats going on. When you get to the point that you are sliding both tires in a corner, leaned over far enough that you hardly have any tire touchign the ground. All that while being calm and smooth, then you figure out that power has little to do with it.
The idea is to get to that point in one piece, not jump on something that is going to be a handfull to reign in. After all, you want to ride the bike, not hold on for deal life to a missile you can barely control.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 07:33 AM

yo morgan, i ahve to agree with the above. Two things i want to mention, first being that the 600 katana is not a real powerful bike, the new 600 R's will make the katana feel like a 250 ninja, the 954 is not even in the same category.

Second, i have a friend named Cody Hill,"he does not mind using his name" who had rode cruisers for years, i think he had 3 or 4 different bikes, he decided to get a sport bike. He found a new 954, we tried to talk him into a new 600, but he wanted the 954. Well he had rode for years, and is VERY censible on a bike. one night we were all riding together, he pulled out and got on it, the back tire spun, then caught, jerked his left hand off the bar he pinned the throttle wide open with his right hand, he ran into the back of another bike, broke his helmet, we thought it knocked out his teeth, it just pushed them into is sinus cavity, anbroke his back, he is recoverying in a wheel chair. They say he will walk again in time, it has been about a year and he can take about 10 steps with a walker. the moral of the story is, INEXPERIENCE, liter bikes to sum it up, are EVIL fast, you really need to get a year or two of sportbike experience under your belt befor stepping to a liter bike, just my
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 12:48 PM

uh oh, vash and izzy agreed again, this cant be good
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 12:58 PM

Izzy, it sounded like keeping the throttle open was a good idea to avoid highside, but may be he couldn't control the direction he was heading? What happend to the bike your friend hit?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 01:53 PM

His dad has been piecing it back together, believe it or not he says he wants to get back on-er when he's able.

I say more power to him!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 01:53 PM

954s are sweet bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode