Buying my first bike this September - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Buying my first bike this September

So I've been into motorcycles for quite some time and I finally landed a good job and the only thing stopping me from financing a bike is deciding what I want.

I know a lot of you will say not to get a new bike as your first bike, but that's what I'm going to do. It might be a lot of power, but I'm sure I'll get used to it in no time.

The bike I'm currently interested in is the Yamaha R6. I was going to get the R1 but I decided that 1000cc's as my first bike might be a little too much for even me to handle.

The real question is: has anyone here bought the R6? If so can they give some kind of feedback on it? I'm really interested to know how they like it. I think I might buy the 2006 when it comes out this September, but I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 02:28 PM

Seems like new buyers of bikes they have never riden, usually way beyond their riding ability, are simply coming out of the wood from all around.

Sorry I cannot give you any advise, my Yamaha 600 is the YZF600r while my other two bikes are Honda 929 & 954, but then this is my 59th year of riding m/cs so I do have a bit of experinece in the m/c world & how to ride them.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 08:09 PM

I highly advise you skip the race replica and start on something smaller. You could quite easily kill yourself. Many threads here detail the reasons why.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 09:58 PM

Sounds like you are listening too much to your "little" head instead of your "big" head.

Ask yourself this question: Am I focused (at least some times) on what other people think about me? Be honest with yourself (you don't have to answer here, but at least be honest to yourself). You are the only person you need to impress, so why not learn your skills the best and fastest way? If that is your goal, you want a less powerful bike.

When your bigger head prevails, hope you come to your senses and purchase something else. An R6 is not a bike for inexperienced riders. Yes you have a right to buy whatever you want, but should you survive, your riding skills will be far less than if you bought a less powerful, less speedy ride.

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 10:54 PM

god no, the R6 will be way to powerful, get something slower, like a 999r or something, geez, stupid kids these days...

hehe Just kidding

on a serious note, listen to these people, if i were you i would go with a slower bike such as an SV 650 or a 919 (since you like power)

keep in mind, that while the R1 is more powerful, it's also heavier, meaning the R6 can be just as deadly

ask any servicemen here, they dont teach you how to fly in an f-22 (unless, of course your checking out in one)

beleive it or not, guys who ride big bikes all the time say that bike like the ninja 250 are just as fun, if not more fun to ride in the turns because they're so small
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 05:55 AM

Which leads us to this link of the ninja..

http://209.225.8.65/ninja250/video/garyj.wmv

Last half opens the eyes for many. Yes - it IS possible to have "Fun" on a 250.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 07:27 AM

That was a cool little vid there. Were they both 250's? How big is that guy in the front? Got anymore?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 02:14 PM

Not sure if the trailing bike was a ninja 250 - it may have been.

Gary J is somewhat notorious out west for experienced and fast paced riding. He's often seen at track days but prefers to ride the 250 on the street more often than anything else from what I understand.

He posts often on the BARF forums - another great community FWIW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode