Buying a New 250 vs used 500/600 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to xboxdynasty
Buying a New 250 vs used 500/600

Hey,

I'll be taking and hopefully passing the MSF this week. No reason to believe I wont since I can ride a bike, drive stick, and even a dirtbike or two...

Anyways I was at a local bike shop and picked up a sweet Black HJC helmet and a set of riding gloves. I told the guy I was looking for a bike and had about 3 thou at the moment for it. He said I should think about getting a new 250. The sales dude quoted me 4300 but said he could do it for like $4k.

So for a first bike is a 250 gonna be enough? I'm young but not stupid enogh to risk killing myself. Should I try to afford the 4k for the 250 or put like 3000 into a cbr600 or a ninja 5 (as if you could find any of 'em for sale)?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 04:28 PM

Well, there's prolly a Reason why he said to buy a "new" 250..

the 250 or 500 EX / Nija is a great starter bike, but it depends on how your gonna use it...i.e. long commutes to school , or work..? a 500 is better due the extra bit of power, it will cruise at frwy speeds better than the 250 will. just getting around town, to work or school..no hiway riding, then the 250 is a good choice.

Also, if your a "Big" person..the 500 might be better for ya..

And for sure buy a "USED" bike, cuzz the likelyhood of your dropping it are pretty good, plus you can usually get what you paid for it, or dang close, if and when you decide to upgrade.

Check the cycle trader, and some of the MC boards for used bikes...

Good luck in your search..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

I found a brand new ninja 250 for $2995 MSRP on their website. I weigh like 220 and 6'2"... it would be purely for fun close to home. only long trip would be once a year going like 500 miles to take it up to college. Other than that it would be local. What do you think with that info?

I would like to get the 250 because its right at my price but.... if it will be slow and boring then thats no good either.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 08:33 PM

Welp...at 220, the 250 will get you around town easy enough...but I think once you've gotten the "hang" and the experience of riding, you may have wished you bought the 500, don't get me wrong, both bikes are a blast to ride..in all honesty, I think the 500 would my choice if it were me..

One thing you can do, is ask the dealer IF you can test ride it...and see what You think..after all, it's your $$$, and will be your bike...

Oh, and don't forget to buy a good quality Leather MC jacket..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 07:34 AM

Others seem to dissent on the long term rideability of the Ninja 250. I am sure you will enjoy this review...

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...hreadid=119618

I'd look for a used 250 - they are much cheaper and the bike is incredibly reliable. There is another member of the ninja250.org community - Duke - who is either still riding or has just finished his trip across the country... Ah - here we go....

http://forums.ninja250.org/viewtopic...ht=duke#382210

Don't let em sway you - it is a very capable bike.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

while it may be capable will i want to ditch it in a half year. Will it have enough power to keep up witht the big boys and keep the adrenaline flowing?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 03:28 PM

Trying to "keep up with the big boys" after half a year is a death wish. It isn't a joke. Everybody mentions it casually around here but it is an absolute reality that every single rider must deal with.

Stop worrying so much about speed and focus on the ride. If you only get your kicks from twisting the throttle like any other john doe idiot out there could - then perhaps. If you care about the actual ride in its entirety - then you could potentially be fine for years to come.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

because im gonna buy a nice riding sport bike? i would just get a gay touring bike if i was interested in the ride. My point was if i get a 250 ill be bored in two weeks. With a 500 i'll have a litttle longer
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 04:18 PM

The reason I suggested the 500 was due to his weight...granted a 250 will still get him from point A to point B sufficently..my suggesting the 500 was with regards to frwy, and hwy traveling..having riden on the streets for many years, there are times when a little extra umph, can help ya..this doesn't mean 'stayin up with the big boys" in a drag race or a jaunt through the twisites, even though a good rider can embarass bigger bikes when it comes to cornering..

I know of riders that have riden their 250 ninjas for years, and still have a blast on em..but those guys aren't anywhere near 220 lbs. either, nor do they have to commute on them..

Still if the 500 is chosen, the OP is far better off than if he chose a sportbike...

Just for anyones info...I know a old dude, I believe he's about 67 now, and runs in the local mountian twisties...he rides a clapped out old katana 600, which we all know is way down on power, and handleing compared to the sportbikes of today...buy ya know what...you'd NEVER, EVER wanna try and stay with this old dude..he's crazy fast, and doesn't crash..I'm not in any way sayin that spirited street riding is o.k....I'm just using this as an example..i.e. that Katana can't be to much more powerful than the 500....It's the Man that makes the bike..and not the other way around...

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 02:49 AM Thread Starter

Yeah thanks for all the help Hammer...

I'm gonna try to find a used GS500 as its a bigger bike for the money. I think I'll be a little cramped even on a ninja 5 so this should do it. And not quite as rare either.

Thanks a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode