New Bike - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

New Bike

Hey guys, i think this is my first post but i've been reading for about a month.

I am just about to buy my new bike and i wanted to know what you guys thought. I just got my license about 3 months ago and took all necessary courses. I am confident on a bike but very vigilant. I am 29 years old and know what the consequences of not taking the bike seriously can result in.

What i am buying (picking it up tomorrow) is a 2001 Suzuki GSXR 600 with about 25,000 miles. It has a modified exhaust and that is it. Machanically, the bike is A1 and the tires are also brand spanking new. Only problems are minor scratches on both sides of the bike(dropped) which are really only visible up close. I am buying it for $4000 which also includes the original pipe, stand and cover.

What do you guys think? IMO it is also an OK beginner bike since the horsepower is <100 and the bike weighs like 350 lbs. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 09:19 PM

Should you pick this bike? It's not a beginner-friendly bike and can be unforgiving when you make mistakes, and you will as a newbie. There are far better bikes for beginners with good amount of power. But it's totally up to you anyway, please see other topics, as this is a very common topic, .

As for the bike itself, I wouldn't pay $4K for its given condition and mileage, should be much less or look for another one. And the bike is considerably heavier than 350 lbs, but actually 103 hp at the rear wheel. Bikes with 100 HP is never beginner friendly, there's no relation between these two meaning. The bike is fast.

Last edited by Z_Fanatic; 07-27-2005 at 09:21 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 10:51 PM

Don't buy a dropped bike if you can find one without the battle scars. You just don't know how the bike overall has been treated and the drop marks may be all there is to it, but you will never know (until the transmission goes out!).

I also would not pay that price, nor would I buy a bike that new with that many miles on it when there are plenty available with under 5,000 miles.

I think you can ride that bike as a beginner if you are careful. You are old enough to know the difference between big and small risks. If you were 25 or younger, I would say otherwise.

I bought a Yamaha 600 Seca for my first bike, it had about 43 horsepower, and that is a good power range for a beginner. Frankly I was happy to have that power and no more. However, within a year I had purchased a Ducati 900 SS/SP and I never rode the 600 again.

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode