New First Bike - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

New First Bike

Hi Everybody! Recently I became really interested in motorcycles. My friend has a CBR600F4i and it's a nice bike. I was looking at the 600RR and I heard about the Yahama R4 or R6. I was looking for a relatively comfortable one too. Basically, I was looking for the best buy: power, comfort and not that expensive. Can anyone offer some advice?

Also, does any one know why BMW bikes are so expensive? They don't seem to be as powerful. How about Ducati?

Thanks.
-Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Maybe someone knows a website where I can check out helpful reviews?

Thanks
-Alex
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 01:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to conrice
ok, ive been thinking about this whole first bike thing....
and no one ever asks to start on ducatis....
but i was thinking the other day, and i had some thoughts

take a 748 for example, its way heavier than 600s, but, down on power too. also, its a v-twin, so it wouldnt be that peaky of an engine and it also has about the same rake angle of any of the other 600s, so wouldnt that be a more suitable bike for a beginner than an r6?????or 600RR??? ( forgetting about the costs)

not saying that i would advise this, or think about it, but, i was just thinking about it the other day...

as for your questions, i dont think you'll find too many people (or anyone for that matter) that will advise you to start on any race replica (R6, 600RR, zx-6RR, gsxr600, zx636), the F4i is a better bike for a beginner. you dont need a lot of power in a beginner bike. you need to learn how to ride a m/c, not hang on to one.

the popular bikes that people start on are all 500cc twins. also, the sv650 is a good beginner bike as well, and if you dont like those, you could always look at the new er650 from kawasaki (that will be a while before those come out though).

i dont exactly know why bmws, ducatis, mv agustas, etc. are more expensive, but i assume it has to deal with the fact that they are european, and they have the prestige. remember, bmw was making bikes far before making cars.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 01:51 PM

Yeah, forgetting the cost a duc might sound like a good bike. But its going to cost you twice as much, going to require a whole lot of maintanance, and its really going to hurt when you drop the thing.
and you will. Everyone drops their first bike. More then once. Hell I dropped every bike I ever owned (and at least one I didnt)

As for starters I recommend the SV650 (or the SV650S) race reps take no prisoners. One mistake and they will buck and throw you off. A bike that locks up the rear tire on downshifts is too much to worry about for someone who is trying to figure out the concept of countersteering.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 01:49 PM

I have to agree with vash i would deff recomend a sv650 I had one as a first streetbike and it was a great bike i would still be riding it if it didn't get totaled. A ninja 500ex or a suzuki gs500 would also be good bike but you are less likely to outgrow a sv650 they are still fun even when you can ride the hell out of it.
They also have a large power band you don't have to rev the snot out of it to get power like a 600 super sport
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 10:59 AM

What about a Buell XB9sx. Thay bike has a good power range.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 04:10 PM

The Buell still would be too strong... This is a first bike - keep in mind people... Even the little Ninja 250 will still do 0-60 in about 5 and a half seconds... That's faster than 95%+ of the cars out there on the road today.

I'd highly recommend the Ninja 250/500 as a first bike... You could ride it for a year and EASILY get exactly what you paid for it right back. They don't have great resale new - but the used ones hold their value *incredibly* well.

After that I'd step it up to the SV650 and ride that for a while before considering anything else...

I take quite the conservative approach - however - you've only got one life. I wouldn't want to prematurely end it because you want a bit too much power too soon. Performance can wait - you'll be dead if you can't handle the bike itself. And I'm not metaphorically saying "dead" either ..........
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kestrel
The Buell still would be too strong... This is a first bike - keep in mind people... Even the little Ninja 250 will still do 0-60 in about 5 and a half seconds... That's faster than 95%+ of the cars out there on the road today.

I'd highly recommend the Ninja 250/500 as a first bike... You could ride it for a year and EASILY get exactly what you paid for it right back. They don't have great resale new - but the used ones hold their value *incredibly* well.

After that I'd step it up to the SV650 and ride that for a while before considering anything else...

I take quite the conservative approach - however - you've only got one life. I wouldn't want to prematurely end it because you want a bit too much power too soon. Performance can wait - you'll be dead if you can't handle the bike itself. And I'm not metaphorically saying "dead" either ..........
Agreed, except for 1 item..resale on the 250 / 500's...they do and will hold a decent resale, I've known a couple of riders who bought used 500's and sold em for 99% of what they paid for em...Other than that, I think this suggestion is 100% right on..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 06:41 PM

For a FIRST bike, after you take the MSF Course, then I would look at the 500cc vertical twins by both Suzuki & Kawsaki. Both being probably the best to begin with.

Next step, like a season or so from now & still wanting a 600 four, then look at the Kawasaki ZZR-600 & the Yamaha YZF600r which are comfortrable bikes, & still a lot of punch in them plus best of handeling & stopping power.

The might be 5-10mph below the others when it comes going at full chat still they offer a better mid-range engine & they are not as finiky in handeling as the more costly bikes you have glued your eyes on without knowing what is on the market. You will be saving yourself around 3 grand on either of these bikes & that money can help you in cost of insurance & protective riding gear you will need money for.

Lastly I doubt if you will be in position & knowedge to ride either of those bikes to full potential even 3 or 4 yrs from now. Remember he m/c world is SO different to the cage world.

Last edited by Smitty; 07-31-2005 at 06:45 PM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 11:08 PM

to answer your question on bimmers

it's because they're european

importing, plus the high euro-dollar ration
take ducatis for example, it's itallian, anything bought from italy gets a 350% "itallian" tax on it (honest!)

seriously though, it's mostly importing from europe, BMW cars are cheap as hell in germany

now you may be thinking "how come european and japanese cars dont cost more" well, thats because theyre made HERE, as far as i know, ducati, Mv, BMW, none of them have american plants

oh yeah, what they^ said
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode