Shifting a zx6r - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Shifting a zx6r

I realize this is a well covered topic, but I have noticed that in such related topics the model and year are required so I figured I wouldn't be able to match results to my specific bike.

I have a newly (for me) 04 zx6r, this is my first bike and I feel fairly comfortable with the little experiance I have had, I was just wondering what rpms I should shift at. I have noticed that my bike seems to make the sound that I would shift my car at around 5-6rpms. Is this to low? What damage could occur from shifting too soon?

I know this is a noob question, but since I'm a noob, I figured I wouldn't get too flamed...thanx for the help in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 12:53 PM

5-6k is way too low to shift unless you are putting around a long scenic road.
Ya want to stay in the part of the rev range where the bike will move forward when you open the throttle. On 600's in the twisties I try to keep the rev's above 10k. In town, I like to keep them to a milder 7k. I realize that the engine sounds like its going to explode, especially coming from a car, but believe, its just fine. Its designed to spin that fast.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

I figured that I was shifting too soon because it redlines at like 13rpm and I figured that 4 or 5 was too low, but didn't want to mess anything up, so I should probably be shifting around 7-8rpm around town right?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 01:40 PM

yeah, 7-8 is about right. Of course as with a car, it depends on what you are doing at the time.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 01:51 PM

Are you kidding, wind that baby up to 13.5k rpms every gear before shifting!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 02:06 PM

problem is when you rev that bike up to 8K in first and 2nd gear, everyone's basically eye-balling you like (shit, that dickhead is reckless). peaky engine needs to be revved high to get moving from traffic light, that's a not a problem with v-twin. I shift at 5-7k rpm and keep it at 4-5K when cruising, doesn't get anyone's attention.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Which (if either) would cause the most dramatic damage at a faster rate? Shifting too soon or reving too high? I've noticed that it seems like the sound of the bike when reving to about 7-8 in first or second sounds like im racing from one stop light to the other and that's partially why i was shifting so soon, but I figure I'll shift at 6 in first and second then 7-9 above that
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Keep in mind, I'm only commuting as of now and most of my traveling will be around city streets, I won't even be hitting freeways (wont need to anyway) until college starts in August (figured this would cover my driving scenerio)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 03:02 PM

Well obviously the engine is going to last longer if its run at 1krpm than if its run at 10krpm. But dont let that bother you. Your engine will last 100k miles without too much trouble. Or maybe much more.
Lets face it, most sportbikes die a violent death rather than of natural couses. So if you cant get out of someones way becouse you are in to high of a gear, than your bike isnt going to last nearly as long, get what I'm saying?

As for sounding like a racing maniac, dont worry about it. Most people already view you as a racing maniac just couse you got a crotch rocket. F'em, they're just jelous.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks alot for ur guyz' help. I get out of work in 1hr then it'
s time to test out that shifting!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode