Choosing a bike and of course more noob questions - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Choosing a bike and of course more noob questions

Hey guys, new member here. Howdy!

I've decided to enter the wonderful world of bikes, signed up for my beginner MSF course next weekend. I'm getting stoked. I called a few insurance companies to get some ballpark quotes for myself and found Geico to be the lowest at 1400/year. Progressive was 3000+ and state farm wouldn't insure me unless I had another policy with them (vehicle or otherwise). (I told him I'd be on a 500cc bike fyi)

ANYWAYS...

I've read the page on good first motorcycles: http://www.chuckhawks.com/good_first_motorcycles.htm

Comes in handy and scares me off of getting anything stronger than a 500cc. The bikes the guy there advised for in the 500cc range are: Buell Blast, Kawasaki Vulcan 500, Suzuki GS500E and the Yamaha Virago 535. What do you guys think of these bikes?

I've never ridden before and my stats are:
20 yrs old
5'9
162lbs
I'm very calm on the road and don't get overcome by testosterone to drive crazy (in cars) on the road...I think I can handle a bike. After next weekends 3 days MSF course I'll know whether I can or not.

Anyways, I want to start looking for used bikes in the 250-500cc range fairly soon. ( http://www.cycletrader.com/index.html ) or by going to dealerships...do dealerships sell used bikes like car dealerships?

I'm looking to spend under $5000 for the bike alone. What's going to be a good bike to drive in LA and LA traffic (good handling) and hopefully some casual day trips around LA area.

What're some advice on equipment also? is there any online resource that has good reviews of equipment? Any brand names that stick out more than others? how much ballpark does an entry level rider generally spend on a full setup ?(sans bike and insurance)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 10:05 PM

Re: Choosing a bike and of course more noob questions

Quote:
Originally posted by Suavedg
...I'm very calm on the road and don't get overcome by testosterone to drive crazy (in cars) on the road...I think I can handle a bike...
Oh, if I only had a dollar for every time I've heard a newbie say that.

It cracks me up every time!!

BTW, welcome to SBW!!

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Re: Re: Choosing a bike and of course more noob questions

Quote:
Originally posted by cookeetree
Oh, if I only had a dollar for every time I've heard a newbie say that.

It cracks me up every time!!
hehe touche salesman...

anyways, any help?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 10:07 PM

Sorry, mate, you're better off talking to US members about your bike choices and where to get your gear.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 10:59 PM

All of the 500cc bikes you mentioned will sell in the low $2000 range, but not brand new. I mean get an early 2000 model. There is no reason to spend $5000 on a spotless bike when your chances of dropping it are very high. If you haven't noticed bikes usually don't depreciate past $2000 unless it's in terrible shape.

I suggest you get an early (2002) GS500. They are categorized as a standard instead of a sportbike, but still look sporty. They keep you sitting upright, which is more comfortable for long commutes or being stuck in LA traffic.

Get a helmet, jacket, and gloves immediately. These are the parts of your body that hit the ground first. I use to believe you couldn't get this gear for under $500 new, but there are closeouts everywhere.

Use the 'search' tool to check old thread on gear. Check out the gear section.
Try www.newenough.com and www.motorcyclecloseouts.com

"Don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter."

"When I drink, something happens. This guy called Buzzy comes out. And he proceeds to do whatever he wants, I guess'' - Wayne Rainey
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 11:31 PM

while others may suggest 600s and claim 500s are boring, I'll pitch in suzuki sv650 along with the 500s. it's not fast as 600s (different motor) but enough to remind you everytime you twist the throttle why motorcycling is good.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 05:44 AM

Suave:
Welcome to SBW. I must say you are one very informed noob
On to answear questions.
I'll go along with z-fanatic to recommend the sv650 as a possible first bike. They are gentle and easy to ride despite their displacement. Abit higher seat hight than you would find on the smaller ninja's but being 5'9" you should be just fine.
You should be able to pick up a bike for less than $3k, if you go used. I would highly recommend that, becouse first bike get dropped a great deal (not necesserily wreck, just fall) All the other bikes you've mentioned are good as well.
I tend to budget $1k for gear. Its abit over the top but not by much. $400 helmet, $70 gloves $200 jacket and $200 for boots give or take. A great place for gear is www.newenough.com they have the best customer service of any place I ever had to deal with, and they are pretty damn cheap.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

I've heard though time and time again for a beginner rider going with a 600cc bike is pretty much a guarantee for a nice crash.

is the sv650 just an underpowered 600cc? and since it's a 600 will it bump up the insurance considerably?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 11:41 AM

I dont know about insurance question, they differ too much from region to region and company to company.
As for the 650 motor its a twin tuned for maximum ridability. A 600 supersport motor (R6, 636, cbr600RR, etc) are tuned for peak HP. Thus they have almost non existant low end, followed by minor midrange and then at 10k rpm they explode into 100hp machines. Controlling a motor like that requires constrant shifting to keep in the powerband (Everytime I ride a 600 I wish it had an 8speed).
SV650 on the other hand is tuned for predictable power, linearity, at the expance of top end power. Thus it only makes around 70hp, but it purrs in a nice, easy, predictable fassion. The broad powerband makes the 6 speed transmition useless, as it could easily get away with having 4 gears.
It also has eased off rake angles and longer trail for more in linear stability at the expance of flickability (not that you cant flick a 650, just that its less likely to freak out on you).

I test rode one last week for a friend (also picking out a first bike) and it was just the perfect thing to learn on. It was tottaly gentle and comfortable and light, but still had enough power not to make me feel castrated.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

what's the difference between hte sv650 and the sv650s?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode