When another rider comes up behind you - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

When another rider comes up behind you

So i just got my katana last week and am still takin it slow getting used to it. But today a guy on a cbr came up behind me and got so close up on my right side it felt crazy unsafe. i could barely see him in the side mirror. How often do people do that or is this guy just stupid.?

And do you guys trust other riders that just hop in with you on the road?

I turn at the next light anyway but if i had been goin straight i would have waved him to back up a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 07:35 PM

I do a lot of stupid riding, but I don't do it around other riders.. at least other riders that I don't know. I keep a respectable distance between me and any other bikes I might encounter on the road.. even if I'm passing cars on a single lane road I'll just cruise behind a bike until they turn or I can easily pass without getting too close.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 07:50 PM

When you are in a car how much room do you give the car in front of you at stoplights? 6' maybe? Bikers usually give about the same distance at stoplights, but they are in the opposite wheel track, which is enough room, and who knows mabye the two of you have something to say.

As for when moving on the bike, I never ride staggered with an unknown rider. What are you a cop? Even with a rider I know I wouldn't ride that close staggered just to give us both some escape room in case of an emergency, especially at high speeds on the freeway.

It sounds like this guy either did want to talk to you or just thought you were comfortable with him riding in that area. I bet he would not have ridden that close to a Harley.

"Don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter."

"When I drink, something happens. This guy called Buzzy comes out. And he proceeds to do whatever he wants, I guess'' - Wayne Rainey

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

You need the whole lane, for maneuvering. I usually tell people to ensure they can see the head of the person following them in their mirrors. When I'm with people I'm REALLY comfortable with on the highway, we close it up to seeing any portion of the bike, but that's just people I'm REALLY comfortable with. Hope this makes sense.

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.
2005 20th Anniversary V-Max (0098/2000) - T boost,
2005 YZF R6 track bike - Graves full exhaust, Race Tech suspension
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 09:47 AM

The rider was totally in the wrong. One gives same distance to a fellow rider as they do to a cage if not more. Also you should never have them crowding you in the same lane & if they do the latter simply drop back & stay to the right of the lane.

If you are travelling slow & a rider comes up behind you simply pull to the right side & give him a signal to scoot by you.

There have been occasions of where the rider behind will accidently run into the rider in the front & in several occasion severe injuries to both or one & damage to both bikes.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 03:21 PM

This has happened to me a couple of times. Both times I just twitched the bike a bit, making the other guy unsure of what I was going to do. They got the point pretty quick.

I never trust anyone else on a bike. If they're half as crazy as I am, we're both f*cked.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 04:14 PM

Sideways, if you ever come to the U.P. of Michigan give me fair warning so I can stay off the roads.

Yeah, that dude should know better. Maybe he was just happy to see another sportbike on the road and wanted you to be his special friend
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Thermide
Sideways, if you ever come to the U.P. of Michigan give me fair warning so I can stay off the roads.
I wouldn't worry about that. My blood's too thin for MI.

And I would never make it a point to screw with someone who's even close to responsible, but if some 15 year old on a day permit thinks he's going to show me how to be Vin Deezel, well, he'll have to be taught a bit.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 09:16 AM

I stay the hell away from people I dont know. But as far as my buddies are concerned, we ride close enough to hi5 each other on occassion

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
But as far as my buddies are concerned, we ride close enough to hi5 each other on occassion
aww... you hold hands with your fellow riders... as you're leading the traffic into sunset... as the background plays some cheesy 80's song.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode