HI sucks for new riders! advise plz! (long) - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 02:15 AM Thread Starter

HI sucks for new riders! advise plz! (long)

Ok let me begin with my history of motorcycles before i get into my dilemma. I first started on my pops' 92 nighthawk 250. I had a crash course on "how to get outta first" just like how i learned to drive stick. Then i proceded to learn how to turn and shift. Mind you, this is not the proper way "but works" and is coming from a 56 year-old man who's riden for the last 15 on harley's, big dogs, and titans. I did 2 days of about 6 hour riding time and learning. Ok, fast-forward about 2 years. I moved to hawaii, and i have a cage and a moped (which i've been riding around town for about a year now, the moped that is), but i would like to upgrade my pedy ped since i will no longer be living so close to work anymore. i NEED a two-wheeled mode of transportation for work, for any jokers no a bicycle will not work=P. I would also like to add, i am in MSF (midway thru the course but very confident on riding due to my moped experience and thinking that my risk is actually dropping with a sportbike because most accidents happen at such low speeds and well the moped stays at that low speed). anyways, back to subject, course is almost done and my gf purchased the last '05 ninja 500ex on island. i want to get a 500 as well but the '06's arent coming in until oct. i would purchase a used mid 90's 600cc if they were available here in hawaii. see you gotta understand, hawaii doesnt really have a selection when it comes to mid-90's. i'm talking rare. even new 500's sell super fast. goes to show how many "smart riders" there are in hawaii,=) well now i ask, because my dream bikes is the only thing left on island.

gsx-6 or r6?

which one and why?

keep in mind i'm not asking if its a good starter bike, i know the consequences and have weighed them out now CHOOSE!

thank you for your time and feedback!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 03:31 AM

R6.. simply because I think it looks better. You won't find much performance difference between the two bikes.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 05:46 AM

Go sit on them. Whichever one fits you better or is better looking to you. There is not a whole lot of difference.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 05:53 AM

HIrider - what year are the bikes you are comparing? Are you buying private/used or dealership/new, etc? I'm assuming you were talking about '05 models from a dealership and they are no/low miles and it's about the same price for either...

anyways, if I were you I'd sit on both and test ride them - see which one you feel more comfortable on. If they both feel great, then which one do you think has better styling/color etc?

...not worth much, but tell me exactly which 2 you are comparing and I'll give you my opinion.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 05:42 PM

Tell you what, buy me a round trip ticket and I'll take a look at the bikes and pick one for you

Like they said, just jump on them and decide which one fits you best physically and matches your sense of style.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 10:50 PM

Yes, if you specify the year would help a bit more offering suggestions. Because these bikes change dramatically from one year to another, for example, one bike feels like sitting "in" and the other could feel like sitting "on" and smaller by nature, which could determine rider preference. Checking it out for youself is the best way to go.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 11:44 PM

Talking

i agree with unas. you should buy the r6. some of the guys on the r6 forum say the raven one go faster than the other colors. those jerks are funny.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrRogers
i agree with unas. you should buy the r6. some of the guys on the r6 forum say the raven one go faster than the other colors. those jerks are funny.
It's true.. I've seen it!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 10:17 AM

It is a flip of the coin if they both look good to your eye & feel that way as well.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 02:57 AM Thread Starter

UPDATE!

heh well i was asking about the '05 models. I went and checked out suzuki, yamaha, and kawasaki, and i liked the gsx 6 alot, but only the one that the seat had been modified to be a little lower, i seriously felt that "in" the bike and not "on" it. I also went to sit on the R6 as well, i really liked the raven scheme. looks soo mean. i like REALLY liked it, but when i sat on it, i felt soooo uncomfortable. i was so pissed because i knew it wouldnt be the r6. but the sad thing is suzuki was askin so much and they were only gonna do a temporary registration and i needed insurance with a $500 deductable for me to get it from them. screw that, i'm taking out a loan tomorrow and gonna get a used bike.

ok now for the question part again, what are good models to go for between the years 1993-1999? i want to send my brother in AZ a specific list of bikes i want him to take a look at for me. keep in mind as well, i only got $5000.

thanks again for all the help fellaz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode