Insurance? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Insurance?

Hey guys, another quick question or two.

My insurance is $1100 a year. From the sounds of it, that's pretty high. A lot of people I talk to have to pay only around 500-600 a year. I have collision on my insurance but a lot of people told me that is not needed. So here are my quesitons;

How much is your insurance a year?
Who is your provider? (state farm, progressive, etc.)
Do you have collision?
Do you have theft protection?
If I am paying $1100 a year and I have collision on my insurance, if my bike got totaled, would I get paid the same amount I paid in the beginning (or close to it?)

Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 12:53 PM

This topic has been discussed before. No way to really compare since insurance rates change to much geographically. I live in a small town in texas. 24y/o, single, male. zx10. State farm
$1200/yr

I have no idea why people would say you dont need collision... Bike crash....

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 07:08 PM

From what i gather, mostly it depends on the bike and the engine size. Location and other stuff then factors in (driving record.)

I just got a several quotes just last week for a 2003 Yamaha R6 (600cc) sport bike.

I'm 25 in Marietta (suburb of Atlanta), GA, with one speeding ticket in the past 3 years, using the MSF course these are the quotes i got for full coverage, but minimum allowable by law.

USAA (Subbed out to Foremost): Around $3500/year
Geico: Around $4000+/year
State Farm: $445/year

I think state farm has the best rates from what i've heard from my friends.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 12:04 AM

Vash is correct in that you can't really compare one person's rates to another.

However based on what you wrote, paying in excess of 1000.00 a year, a big portion of your yearly insurance amount is probably due to collision.

I'm with progressive and collision at a 500.00 deductible was about $500.00.

Unless you're financing you're bike, I wouldn't recommend you take collision. Mind you this means any damage to your bike resulting from an accident will have to be paid out of pocket. But the trade off may be worth saving money on your insurance.

Liability is generally inexpensive on the bike, but having liability alone means you are only covered for damages you cause to someone else.

Safer bet might be to go with comprehensive. Generally this coverage is cheaper than collision and will pay out for things like theft, hitting an animal or any damage resulting from acts of nature (e.g. flood, fire, hail).

Hope this helps.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 12:08 AM

and in regard to your second question regarding what an insurance company will pay out in the event of an accident....

Its called actual cash value. In english this means how much your bike is worth NOW!

You may not get the entire amount you paid for the bike, generally its a little less. The amount that an insurance company will pay in the event you're bike is involved in an accident is close to the NADA figures based on year and model. So the newer the bike, generally the more you'll get because depreciation hasn't kicked in.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

awesome, this helps a lot

thanks guys
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 07:00 AM

ins

2000 zx9
26yo, not a great driving record.
$300 a yr. with progressive.

I also have a 2004 Denali w/progressive and that is 225/mo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode