bunch of noob questions into one thread :) - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

bunch of noob questions into one thread :)

before i start, yes im taking a mandatory MSF class (air force requirement)

-i've researched SO MUCH about what would be suitable for my 1st bike.. i was considering the gs500f or the ex500 as my beginner bike. then someone said sv650 is also a nice beginner bike and if you really want to ride 600cc, f4i would be the next best bike. I realized out of all of them, i know i'd stick with the f4i the longest thus my best investment. Plus, in my location (del rio,texas) its nothing but flat land, hardly any traffic so i wouldnt have that much of an obstacle when i ride around.
I'm always open to other people's criticisms so let me know if I'm making the biggest mistake of my life.

-i got insurance quotes from allstate, progressive, geico, and AAA, and they all quoted me $4000~$5000 a year for a 2002 honda f4i
i went to state farm's website and they didnt have anything for motorcyclists
i have a good clean driving record (one accident that wasnt my fault) but no riding experience and the fact that im 20 years old .
what should i do?

-whats the best/cheapest way to ship a bike? (not much variety of used bikes for sale in my area)

-is there a website that has bunch a of reviews on gear, bike parts, bikes, etc...?

thanks... i hope this will be my last noob post in this section
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 11:48 PM

Here's a link for shipping a bike. I never shipped a bike. I figured why spend the 450-700 bux on shipping and instead use the money to get a better bike in my area.

http://sbw.sportbikes.com/showthread...hipping+a+bike

Those rates sound terrible. You must of had that one accident within the last 3 years. There are some past threads on ins. rates for youngsters (<25), but it comes down to saving up to pay for the bike outright and therefore get liability or taking it in the A. You should get a discount if you have an auto with the same co., that won't show up on quotes.

If none of these will work I suggest getting a non-full fairing bike that doesn't have an "R" in the model description, which will be cheaper. The F4i is not your best investment at all with those rates. If this is your first bike, go with the GS500 or EX500 until your rates go down. I personally like the 2002 GS500.

"Don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter."

"When I drink, something happens. This guy called Buzzy comes out. And he proceeds to do whatever he wants, I guess'' - Wayne Rainey
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

-so there's no standalone motorcycle insurance for state farm?
-im pretty sure that accident (which was a hit and run, totally not my fault) could jack up the rates by more than 100% of what most of the riders here pay... would i get a better quote if i just called them instead of filling it out online?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by skimmilk68
-im pretty sure that accident (which was a hit and run, totally not my fault) could jack up the rates by more than 100% of what most of the riders here pay... would i get a better quote if i just called them instead of filling it out online?
Some ins co. require you to have an auto or house policy with them before they'll sign a MC onto your policy. I don't know what State Farm's policy is.

Online quotes are fairly accurate if you aren't lying about your driving record (im not saying you are), but calling could at least confirm the rates.

I went thru Progressive and though I dont' know your history it came back 4400/year for the F4i, that's just stupid, don't bother. There isn't an ins. co. out there that will beat that by more than a couple hundred dollars. You would have to stay at one residence for 6 months (unlikely in the military), get married, and have another auto on the policy to see a huge difference.

I checked the 2002 GS500 and it came back at 850/year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0686.jpg (375.0 KB, 137 views)

"Don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter."

"When I drink, something happens. This guy called Buzzy comes out. And he proceeds to do whatever he wants, I guess'' - Wayne Rainey
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 06:15 AM
Strength and Honor

Re: bunch of noob questions into one thread :)

Quote:
<snip>
-is there a website that has bunch a of reviews on gear, bike parts, bikes, etc...?
Here's one that I started with. However, it has lots of old, non-existent gear if I recall correctly. Ultimately I ended up just doing Google searches on them. It would be really nice if some major supplier (newenough.com?) would allow customer feedback on purchased gear so we could get the scoop in one place.

BTW, with the possible exception of one member, you won't be disparaged for asking questions that might seem silly. Do a little homework in advance and then post up here for what may seem like basic information. That's partially why forums exist

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 06:44 AM

I think the high insurance has something to do high auto theft in the area. Might want to check out which part of the insurance is costing you the most (Lia/Collision/Comp). Check with Statefarm, they do not care about letters in the model name, just CC's (I pay $1200/yr on a zx10, at 24m)

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 05:12 PM

State Farm can do motorcycle only policys. I just got quoted $445/year for a 2003 R6 (600cc) with full coverage. They can do it cheaper if you run your auto insurance thru them as well.

Stats used for quote:
Tickets: 1 speeding in past 3 years
Bike stored in locked garage
MSF course completed
Deductible: $500
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
They prefer to do it as a rider policy with other policies. I have 6 vehicles (full coverage on several, with three motorcycles in the mix) and I pay 170 per month. But, I'm 40, a homeowner, been riding since licensed (16, but technically I started riding when 14), and I haven't had a ticket since the 1980s.

Another problem leading to higher rates is uninsured/underinsured coverage. If you live in an area with lot's of those, the rates can be higher.

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.
2005 20th Anniversary V-Max (0098/2000) - T boost,
2005 YZF R6 track bike - Graves full exhaust, Race Tech suspension
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 06:50 AM

I live on the TX-Mexico border as well, Rio Grande Valley. Uninsured and unlicensed drivers are the biggest cost factor down here. I have full coverage w/State Farm on my 2003 Kaw ZR7-S and it is $50.00 a month. The Kawasaki 500 is a great bike, it was my first ride and I loved it.

I also should let you know that I am 35 with 0 tickets or accidents in the last 5 years.

Just keep an eye out for all those crazy cagers we commute with every day. Good luck on your purchase and safe riding.

Last edited by a5west5; 07-12-2005 at 06:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode