Very tall, need recomendations - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-30-2005, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Very tall, need recomendations

Hello,

Name's kyle. i'm from Pearl River, about 40 miles north of New Orleans.

anyway, i'm interested in getting a bike, i've never ridden. Here's the deal, i'm 6'7" 280lbs.

What is a good bike? i want to spend around 2K.

Thanks,
Kyle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

nobody???
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 06:26 AM
Strength and Honor

I've got a few things for you. Don't freak out when you read them because I'm not bashing you.

1) This is not a rough-and-tumble forum like you might find in other places (beyond the scope of this thread). Therefore, more than 21 minutes is required to get good responses. Be patient.

2) To find a suitable bike, simply go to a dealership, preferably one that carries all the major brands of interest, and sit on all the bikes. Ask questions about how the rearsets can be adjusted for your height for each ride. Mention the height issue with appropriate rides (noted in #3 here) with a KNOWLEDGEABLE salesperson and ask what other adjustments they can make to the rides you're chiefly interested in.

3) Read the "ATTN" threads at the top of this forum. They are the general consesus on appropriate bikes for beginners.

Good luck!

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 06:28 AM

I'm afraid that you might have to customize the bike to fit your frame. There a re several companies making adjustable rearsets, and someone mentioned adjust-a-bars.

post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

no offence taken, the thing is i'm so very new to bikes, and i dont know what questions to ask. When i've gone to all the local "cycle shack" type places, they all tell me the same thing, you'll have to get a 1000cc bike to fit. Well, that's a lot of bike to handle am i correct??? I've been reading through the stickies, but i like "live" feedback as well.

thanks,
Kyle
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kyllc
no offence taken, the thing is i'm so very new to bikes, and i dont know what questions to ask. When i've gone to all the local "cycle shack" type places, they all tell me the same thing, you'll have to get a 1000cc bike to fit. Well, that's a lot of bike to handle am i correct??? I've been reading through the stickies, but i like "live" feedback as well.

thanks,
Kyle

The 'live' feedback you will get is from the same people regarding the same topics as the ones in the stickies.

My cousin is 6'7", 230 lbs... and his upper body (waist up) is the same height as me, so its ALL in the legs.

I have two lots of advice for you, and you arent going to like either of them.

1) forget about your 2K cap... It's tough enough to find a bike that fits you without the cap.

2) The two bikes you should be looking at, if you want to stay in the sportbike catagory, are a Kawasaki Ninja ZX-9R or a Honda Interceptor.

The ZX-9R can be had for around $5,000 used. The interceptor is $10,599 MSRP, but I am not certain about the price of that bike used. In fact, finding one used was top on my priority list today, as I spoke with my cousin just last night, and I believe thats the route he is going.

The interceptor is a nice bike for beginners. Slightly heavy, but has a reasonable amount of HP (107). The ZX-9R is considerably more edgy when in stock form, and outright dangerous when modded. Both (in my opinion) look very nice.

Interceptor

ZX-9R
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 06:55 AM

Yeah, a 1000cc bike will most likely mean you wont live to see your next birthday. Even the latest 600's are starting to get abit out there ('05 kawasaki zx6 has more power than '98 honda liter bike).
The whole "get a bigger bike to fit" thing is BS. Most 600 and 1000 have very simular frames, so they are not any roomier. Then you will most likely hear the whole "You need a bigger bike for the extra weight" Thats BS too. Let me illustrate. Take some 600 (say 400lbs, 100hp). If I ride it (150lbs) each HP is carrying 5.5lbs. If you ride it each Horse is carrying 6.8lbs. Thats about the power to weight ratio of the latest vette, which is pretty damn fast.

You can also check out the standard bikes. FZ6, honda 599, Z750, SV650. If you trust yourself, you could try a liter standard. They are much easier to handle than a race rep.

Again, I'm not saying this to be condicending. Here is what could easily happen on a full out race rep bike.
You get, and you love it. Its sexy, and fast and great. Everyone is jelous.
You spend the first 2-3 weeks riding around like grandma, slow and carefull as you gain confidence.
Then
a. Coming out of a corner you give abit of gas couse you are feeling playfull, the bike starts headshaking, you get scared grab the brake, and die.
b. coming out of a corner you accidently slide your rear tire, chop the throttle, the rear catches, you highside, the bike throws you off and proceeds to tumble thru the air and lands on top of you
c. Coming into a corner you downshift, the rear tire locks, slides sideways, and you highside.

Be carefull buddy. Its a great sport, but it is dangerous.

post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

hey, i'm not set on a 1000, heck i'd rather go w/ a lower cc bike being new to the sport.

How bout a point in the right direction on changing the foot pegs to allow for longer legs, Personally i like the SV serise from Suzuki, pretty slick.

I dont want a race rep bike, more of "cruiser sport bike".

thanks
Kyle

Last edited by kyllc; 07-01-2005 at 08:06 AM.
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

also, what is a liter standard?
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-01-2005, 08:28 AM
Strength and Honor

A non-race-replica 1000cc (or more) bike. It would exclude GSXR1000, ZX10R, ZX12R, R1, Hayabusa.

EDIT: The Kawasaki ZZR1200 is one example I think he's referring to.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode