New Rider Seeking Advice - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

New Rider Seeking Advice

What's up, Well first off I'm 18 and brand new to motorcycles and have never even operated one before...But am looking for a new hobbie and this seems like one I'd have fun with. I'm seeking advice on what kind of bike I should get, my price range can be pretty flexible so that shouldn't be a problem...I was looking at the ninja zx6 and I know that a bike like this may not be suggested to a begining rider but I also find this bike to be the most appealing to me, appearance and price. Has anyone here started out on this bike or something similiar and had some experiences you'd like to share? Well any advice and suggestions for a "newbie" rider would be appreciated, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 07:11 PM

Mate, the best thing you could do is read some of the other "what bike should I start with" threads.

Welcome to SBW!

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 07:35 PM

if you dont mind the gixxer looks, look at the gs500

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 10:54 PM

Start out on a smaller bike & something that will not give you trouble. I would highly advise the 500cc vertical twins by both Suzuki & Kawasaki. Forget the idea of a sportbike as they are for experienced riders.

M/cing is not just a hobby, but a sport & you know anyone in sports starts at the bottom & works their way up.

We would like to say start our on a 125 in the dirt & work you way up to a 250 in dirt. Then a year after you could try the 500 bikes mentioned above. Still we are stepping over the best bit of training & saying start out on a 500.

Still before that we suggest that you take the MSF Course for in many States you need that before you can have a m/c license. They teach you so much it will send your head spinning, but all professionally done & so many with dreams of 600cc sport bikes or even more have changed their mind to something far simpler to start learning on.. All because a m/c is something you have to balance & cornering is a certain amount of leaning to also trying to hang onto the pavement for traction so that you & the bike do not end up landing on your ear---on the pavement.

Last edited by Smitty; 06-27-2005 at 10:57 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies but I already know that this is a bike for experienced riders...that's fine it's still gonna be a 600cc that I'm going to start out on, I'm gonna take the risk of not liking it or possibly eating shit. We do have those classes here in oregon and I'm going to take them, it's a three day class I heard and we're required to take them to get our endorsment. But I'm not gonna be riding this as a daily driver this is just gonna be something to mess around with on the weekends, but when I ride it I will ride it responsibly until I get the feel of how to ride it...and I'm sure it doesn't take a genius to operate a bike, but that I will find out as soon as I hop on one, if I fall I'm not gonna give up I will get back on it and ride again...Hopefully, so what sort of 600 would any of you suggest for a new rider? and don't say none becuase I wont listen...thanks anyways though
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 04:09 AM

I thought the same way you did when I bought my first bike....I thought "I'll be responsible blah blah blah" thing is once you get on it, its hard to be responsible cause the "newness" is overwhelming at first and you cant think of anything but seeing how fast you can go and all that....after flipping the bike going 30 mph and dropping it numerous times me and my bike have finally connected ....hopefully whatever bike you get will be as forgiving as mine is...dont be surprised if you are going maybe 2 mph going into a sand driveway or something then all of a sudden the bike is on the ground in under second leaving you there going wtf just happened?? ... i would advise getting something smaller but really have no ground to stand on that seeing as how thats not what I did...but anyway, goodluck

Last edited by Yosh750; 06-28-2005 at 04:13 AM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 06:20 AM

If you absolutely insist on a 600, try the SV650 (SV650S w/ lower fairing for the "fast" look), or an f4i. Better yet an older f3 or f2. Todays 600s are more powerfull than the liter bikes of late 90's. Just how are you going to feel when the bars start wiggling from side to side when you exit a corner? Or when you downshift and the rear tire locks up and slides from side to side?

Operating a bike doesnt take a genius, but it does take expirience. A responsive bike like a race replica is only going to give you one chance to make the right imput, after that its going to throw you off. And I'm sure you know that there is a difference between knowing what to do, and doing the right thing instinctivly. I'm not saying you arent worthy of riding (or anything like that, I know this sounds condicending, but it isnt) just spend a few thouthand miles on something abit less deadly.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 06:25 AM

Re: New Rider Seeking Advice

Quote:
Originally posted by HelterSKelter
What's up, Well first off I'm 18 and brand new to motorcycles and have never even operated one before...But am looking for a new hobbie and this seems like one I'd have fun with. I'm seeking advice on what kind of bike I should get, my price range can be pretty flexible so that shouldn't be a problem...I was looking at the ninja zx6 and I know that a bike like this may not be suggested to a begining rider but I also find this bike to be the most appealing to me, appearance and price. Has anyone here started out on this bike or something similiar and had some experiences you'd like to share? Well any advice and suggestions for a "newbie" rider would be appreciated, thanks.

My starter bike : 2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R (636cc)

would I recommend it for another rider? Yes.
Would I recommend it for someone who grew up on dirtbikes? Yes.
Would I recommend it for someone who has never ridden before? Absolutly not.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Okay so I know that I'm gonna be getting an older 600 but here is the real question thats been on my mind how much is insurance gonna be on one of these for an 18 year old male? And yes zrxr1033 I've already heard it... "don't start out on a 600" maybe I won't like it but that I will find out today, but if anyone knows what insurance is averaged on a bike let me know itd be appreciated, thanks
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 11:47 AM

Insurance varies too much from state to state and company to company. In my expirience state farm is good on sportbikes, becouse they consider the CC's not the style of bike (naked/Race rep). You are better off calling them and getting a quote.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode