Big, stable bikes? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Big, stable bikes?

when most people ask about big bikes as starters(not that i have of course...) the general answer is no, and the founding of this is that most litre bikes and 600's are Race Replicas

oo, buzzwords

basically, they are engineered with jerky handling, insane, peaky engines, and racing suspension geometry, my question:

Does anyone make a more stable, less peaky litre bike(staying within full-fairing/full-naked sportbikes)

i know ov the sv-1000 and the like, but i dont like the half-fairing

the honda 919 has a iffy reputation(any opinions?)

any others you all can think of?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 08:19 PM

It's not the bikes that are unstable (any bike will fall over if you don't pay attention) or too responsive at high revs (all vehicles have the most power at the higher RPM's), it's the POS rider on them that causes the problem.

Look for a V-twin and rake angle around 30 degrees to solve this problem......ummm, to a certain extent.

"Don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter."

"When I drink, something happens. This guy called Buzzy comes out. And he proceeds to do whatever he wants, I guess'' - Wayne Rainey
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

well, theres a difference between an R1 and a GoldWing, thats what i mean

the goldwing is built to be big and stable, whereas the R1 is engineered to win races, with professional racers on them.

it's like the difference between a chopper and a sportbike, you have to fight to turn a chopper, whereas a sportbike will turn quite easily.

i'm basically asking a question which i answered myself to some point, there are a FEW litre bikes that arent made as purpose built race machines with some dinky mirrors and headlights(sv1000 being an example of a non-racer) i was just asking if anyone knew of others in that category

i know, its confusing as hell

Last edited by DieSonne; 06-23-2005 at 05:46 PM.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 09:09 PM

Sorry, guess I was kinda an A-hole, because I noticed that your were already on the right track. check out the 'new rider' or 'new member' forums. I think there's a thread on starter bikes that meet your requirements.

Yamaha FZ 600 or 1000
Suzuki SV 650 or 1000
Kawasaki KZ 1000 or ZR7
Honda CB 919

those are kinda in between the R models and cruisers

"Don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter."

"When I drink, something happens. This guy called Buzzy comes out. And he proceeds to do whatever he wants, I guess'' - Wayne Rainey
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 10:28 PM

look along the line of the "sport tourers" or whatever...i think its yamahas... uh, FJR1000..or something? i donno its like a sportbike with hard saddle bags and i think its a toned down R1
alot of companies build their pure performance sport bikes..then take the same powerplant and change out the cams or whatever to make a more mild bike for the more comfortable sport bike...this happens ALOT in dirtbike lines, for ex. the YZ to the WR... or like a CRF250 and a CRF250X...they have subtle changes such as the cam and it makes the bike a whole different animal.
-rOOster-
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 10:43 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Fatman
why not consider a supermotard as a first bike, you are already familiar with dirtbikes, i know they are slow when compaired to a sportbike on acceleration and top speed but a sport bike can't touch them in the twistys. the suzuki drz400 sm has a slightly longer wheelbase then say a gsxr600 and more conservitive steering geometry makeing it more stable, not to metion it is 100 lbs lighter than the lightest of the supersports.

just an idea

Build a man a fire, and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Everything I know I learned from killing smart people and eating their brains.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 10:50 PM

It used to be the liter class standard bikes were not so dangerous. Like the GS1000, GS1100, KZ1000, etc. Now they are getting so much power from the motors that a "standard" bike that was liter or larger would be real fast. Like the Z1000. Only bikes I can think of that are not "unstable" (using your definition) are bikes like an 883 Sportster, 1200 Sportster, or various other bikes now classified as "cruisers".

Like you said yourself, a Goldwing is stable. Probably not much out there more stable at slow speeds, except (maybe) a police KZ1000. New sport bikes? All fast, just some are slower than others. Try an older model. Still fast but not as fast as the new stuff. Maybe pre-1998 or so.

Fuster

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster, and treat those two imposters the same....you'll be a Man, my Son!"

- Rudyard Kipling
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 11:45 AM

the guy about teh super moto bike...thats not a bad idea, i have a vid of a guy on a yzf450 supermotard conversion racing his buddy on an R1 through the twisties, id say he was doing over a 100 at times on the supermoto bike. it was sweet.
-rOOster-

Last edited by rOOster14; 06-23-2005 at 11:54 AM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Really? i was contemplating one of those, but would have never thought they would out-class Crotch Rockets in the twistys

so yeah, i'll look at one of those super-Retar....i mean super-motards.

EDIT- i thought y'all were talking about dual-purpose bikes, such as the KLR 650

my only problems with those, are i dont really like moto-cross bikes(both me hondas are trail bikes) and even the KLR has more dirtability than i need

any experiences with the zuki V-strom 650/1L?

Last edited by DieSonne; 06-23-2005 at 05:48 PM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.TrevorClever
Kawasaki KZ 1000 or ZR7
Take the "K" off (that's an old school engine). It's just a Z1000, or technically, a ZR1000A.

Semantics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode