Questions on the 'Busa - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Questions on the 'Busa

please excuse my sentence structure, i'm not illiterate, i just overuse commas.

went to a dealer that finally let me sit on a few bikes to try them on(i'm about 15, no one takes me seriously) and i sat on alot of the 600's and litre bikes, along with the other sports models, and the most comfortable one to me? yep, the preetty red/black GSX 1300 hayabusa. another thing i was told was that it actually costs LESS to insure a hayabusa than, for instance, an R1, because it was actually classified as a SPORT TOURER. thats right, a sport touring model, his basis was that the bars are above the, plate that secures them, whereas most sportbike the bars are under.

how much BS am i getting? if any

also, in your experience, does the hayabusa have the instability of alot of litre bikes/600's? COULD a hayabusa actually be a good starter bike(with govenor of course...)? (keep in mind i will probably be around 6' and 210lb by the time i get a bike

(hides in corner)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 03:33 PM

BUSA

The busa is classified as a sport tourer, not sure how much, if any that will affect insurance though.

As far as a starter bike, man i know you are prob tired of hearing this, but hear goes anyway. The busa is not a good starter bike,1 because of weight, and beacause of power, even ifyou are the most sensible guy in the world, and you be very very carefull, you still lack the experience neede to control a situation on a bike with that much power.

I have been riding sport bikes for about 12 yrs now, and my gsxr 1000 still on a weekly bases puts me in a situation,that without the experience i have built up over the yrs, could, and prob would hurt me very bad.

I reall believe that a guy who is sensible, and as big in size as you say you are, would be ok on a 600 to start, even though most would disagree.

But not a busa, or 1000, or zx12,etc.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

I kindof agree with you, it's kind of cruel, that the most comfortable bike so far WOULD have to be the reigning speed-champ :/

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 04:04 PM

If you're interested in comfort, why are you looking at sportbikes?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

simply put, because harleys look like crap

seriously though, it's because i'm just an adrenaline junky, if i'm going to ride a motorcyle, i want to have that feeling like the motorcylce and me are one, that kind of "you look, it follows" handling

also i have a year and a half to decide, i'm weighing my options right now. i'm also looking into the zuzuki sv-650, the kowsaki ninja 500, the zuki gs 500f, and the honda 919.

also, my first bike will very likely be my only bike for a number of months, years even, so those little 250's that struggle for highway speed aren't very reasonable

oh, and BTW, i meant to spell it zuzuki, call it insanity.

Last edited by DieSonne; 06-22-2005 at 05:38 PM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 06:33 PM

You have 1.5 yrs to go yet before you can ride a bike so LOTS of time & there will be changes.

STILL there is no change is starting out as a newbie------------in that you still have to learn & best way to do that is like in ALL sports being from the bottom up so your first bike will NOT be your dream bike. Take care of what you buy & others will be looking for a sensible bike to start out on.

Presently allow me to suggest the two vertical twin 500cc bikes of both Suzy & Kwacker.

I ran into an incident on last Thursday where I was loosing my balance due to an inner ear problem. NOW I know one of the things I have forgotten & that is TRYING to balance a bike along with stopping a bike. It is not sure of one's balance. Man I looked like a novice with the my feet helping me to get started & sort of staggering when I stopped.

By the way I still have the above problem & looks like another week or two before I can possibly ride.

Sure once riding then I could handle those that cut into me, cut me off & such for after 5mph one should have the bike under control. THOUGH some do not.

Basically when I go to take off I have the bike warmed up, in first cog, controlling the throttle as I let the clutch take over & a hair more throttle as I lift up my foot & not waddling about like a duck.

When I come to stop it is definately stop & then down comes my foot. You see I learned to be a smooth rider though 42 yrs of basically dirt comp & some road racing. So in reality that is 59 yrs of m/cing & also being part owner of several m/c shops & managed two others.

So THAT will be ONE of your problems at the start & then so much to learn to stay alive on the roads that suddenly lack traction to how cage drivers do not see you. Meaning you have to become a very defensive rider.

Best to learn on a smaller bike of 500cc though my bikes were of far less HP that I learned on. Forgetting the piece of junk I spent almost a year of learnin on in the bush 1/2 block from my home that probably only had 6hp. To the used '39 Indian Sport Scout 45 flat head & even younger '41 used Harldy 45 flat head. Both possibly kicked out close to 25hp considering they were actually 750cc in size though foot clutch & hand gear change.

Under the AMA rules a 500cc OHV engine had to compete against a 750cc SV as the hp ratings were close.

The two 500cc bikes I suggest you look at have far more HP then my bikes along with foot gear change, hand & foot brakes, disc brakes at that, no kick starting, but electric & an amazing suspension system compard to my bikes with 2 or 2.5" of travel at the front & ridged rear ends.

Unfortunately like so many beginners you want a top rate bike & you want it covered with ABS plastic. Just remember if you prang (crash) the bike in town at regular speed limit, the cost of the plastic & others things will be close to 1/2 the price of the bike new. I know you do not INTEND to drop the bike & no one is, but then we all seem to do it a number of times.

Last edited by Smitty; 06-22-2005 at 06:43 PM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

thank you on that very informative post smitty

i'm actually WITH you on the plastics thing, i prefer naked bikes, but wind does become an issue with those.

i do realize that it is an outrageous, nay, insane idea of starting out on a monster like that, but you never know(i was going on its weight making it more stable)
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 07:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to conrice
if its just cus harleys look like crap, then dont get a sportbike...get a standard bike, its not like there are just race reps and harleys out there, there are tons of bikes that will make you scream when you open the throttle
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 08:38 AM

Wind isnt as much of an issue for nakeds as you think. Sure at 130+ it gets bothersome, but at lower speeds...

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-23-2005, 08:40 AM

Slower speeds? Hmm, must be a kawi thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode