Questions from a Newb - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 03:56 AM Thread Starter

Questions from a Newb

First off I would like to say that this is a great forum. I am happy to have found a community like this with alot of genuine friendly riders.

I have been thinking about getting a bike for many years, and now that I am finally out of college with a real job I am seriously considering learning. First thing is first though, I plan on taking a weekend riders course in CT to understand the basics and get a feel for motorcycles (using theirs machines).

Secondly after I do complete the course I would like to get a bike of my own to continue my practice. I'm 6'2" 225lbs (ex-football player frame). What bike would you suggest for someone of my build? I would like something that not only trains me well, but something that looks half way decent and when I'm done with it I can still get a decent price. Basically a bike that retains its value pretty well.

I find myself looking at new 600cc machines but I know I should probably wait awhile before I go out and buy a new or left over model.

I would appreciate all your advice, especially what kind of bike for my build. I would also like to know if there are any other CT riders out there and if they know where or who is an excellent dealer of machines in CT.

Thanks and look forward to contributing soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 05:38 AM

hey man, welcome to the forum. The course you're talking about is MSF - Motorcycle Safety Foundation, basic rider course (BRC)... for CT, their number is 800-872-7433 and site is http://www.ct.gov/dot/cwp/view.asp?a=1388&q=259456

definitely a smart idea taking the course as it will be well worth your time, and you will learn an incredible amount.

As far as bike recommendations go, I'm not even close to your size so I'm not sure if I can relate as well. You should absolutely buy used, as everyone will tell you, you WILL drop your bike... maybe twice. Dropping a used bike doesn't feel nearly as bad as the same with a brand new model, etc. Overall, you might want to check out the Suzuki SV650 and possibly the Katana 750's. First step is visit any number of local shops and sit-test as many as you can get on, just to get a feel for what's comfortable. Also a good place to check out gear, as you'll need at least a helmet, gloves, and jacket anyways.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 06:38 AM

Welcome!
I'd throw my weight behind the SV650. they are really awsome bikes, very easy to ride, very capable. And that sweet twin should have no trouble moving you around. If you are not big on the big headlight look, check out the SV650S model. Its basically the same bike, only with a quater fairings, and a different headlight to give it a more sporty appearance. You can also get a lower fairing kit for it, to make a full faired bike. Dont let the fact that they have 60-70hp fool you, they are very capable, and one of the most favorite track bikes around.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 11:45 PM

Hi Ascentius, I'm very close to your size so I thought I'd throw in my ...

Those amazing little 600cc supersports that you are probably drooling all over... are just that: (1) Amazing as in scary fast -- usually not a good choice for the new rider. And (2), little as in not meant for big guys like us.

I've had the pleasure of riding my brother in-law's Suzuki GSX-R600. Awesome sportbike. Obscene power, razor-sharp handling... and oh yeah, after riding it I felt like my spinal cord was going to pop right out of my back!

I'll go along with the SV650 recommendation from TGuns and Vash. Higher bars and lower pegs means you won't be visiting the chiropractor on a regular basis. And as Vash said, 60-70hp is plenty for a new rider... the triple-digit horsepower and feather-like weight of modern 600cc supersports and liter-bikes will get you into a world of trouble if you're just starting out.

I personally haven't ridden an SV650 (I've ridden the V-Strom which is close). The SV650 gets stellar marks from all of the major motorcycling magazines. In fact, I don't recall seeing anything negative about the SV650. Personally, I'd go for the SV650S model... sweet looks and you can always get a lower fairing for it later.

The Katana 600 and 750 are also very nice. Solid performance and comfy ergos for us big and tall types.

Warning: blatantly biased opinions ahead ...
Finally, you might want to add an older ('94-'01) Honda VFR to your short list. My '97 750 makes plenty of power and is a blast in the twisties. And the bonus is that it has a relaxed riding position so I can enjoy it all day long. In '98 the VFR went to 800cc and fuel injection. The '98-'01 models are excellent as well.

In '02, a VTEC engine was introduced -- some folks love it, others hate it. Seems a little gimmicky to me (for a motorcycle that is; I loved my VTEC-powered Integra).

I hope that helped a little. Kudos on your decision to take the MSF course -- you won't regret it.

Cheers and safe riding,
kclee
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 11:34 AM

Ah yes, the SV650s.

The bike more people on this forum recommend as a learner than any other. And here's a picture, with the optional lower fairing.

Oh, welcome to SBW! Best damn m/c site in the universe!

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 04:03 PM

Bit of warning: since I'm used to it, it doesn't bother me, but thinking back to being complete newbie never ridden a bike before, SV is still a very sensitive bike and it's my 2nd bike. The brake lever gives six position of adjustment, so pending on it, it could be set to be very agreessive or mild. Choose the latter when starting out and always use both brakes, front and rear. Now the bit about the warning, the first two gears are extremely sensitive in low speed, little degree of rolling, and the bike would start leaping, same goes for engine braking, it'll have the rider all over the bars if not careful. So take yout time getting used to it. Once you get to midrange or higher up in gears, throttle transitions gets much smoother. This bike has the torque of ZX-6R in much wider but limited powerband, it doesn't have the top-end, so it comes as no surprise why the SV is very torquey. If you rev above 3k and launch the bike, you'll see what I mean . Also, the naked version was geared with more low end in mind, while the S has more top speed.

Last edited by Z_Fanatic; 06-11-2005 at 04:06 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 06:52 PM

Lets not forget the Ole...Ninja ..EX500, is an excellent bike to lean on, there's plenty of used ones around, which I'd recomend, as opposed to buying a new bike, usually you can get pretty close to what you paid for it...when it's time to step up...re: your size, really has little to do with what bike you get, a smaller bike with less power is much more USER friendly, small mistakes are usually forgiven, as the power band is fairly smooth, and the ridin position is very reasonable..even for a larger person. As I've said many times in the past..a bike like this will usually make you a better rider in the long run as opposed to a larger bike..Don't forget, many years ago, most if not all new riders were leaning on 125 enduro type bikes..just something for you to think about..

Oh...welcome to the site..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode