Honda cbr 600F4.....A good first bike??? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Honda cbr 600F4.....A good first bike???

Well i have wanted to get a bike for a while now. I'm gonna go take the 2 day class they offer to teach the basics of rideing a motorcycle. But i have never rode one before really. Unless you count a little riding a little scooter type bike for like 10 min. But anyways i'm looking at used bikes to get for my first bike. I have been reading up on some of the bikes. I was thinking of trying to get like a 99 honda cbr 600F4. I heard that they are very forgiving bikes. Also they are a little more of a crusier type bike then a pure race bike. Do you think this would be an okay bike to learn on or should i start with something even smaller? I don't really wanna have to buy a bike then sell it right away.

BTW, I'm 6'0"-6'11" and about 195lbs.

Last edited by drewstealth; 06-04-2005 at 02:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 05:06 PM

They are NOT forgiving bikes. Suggest you aim for something like the 500cc vertical twins by both Suzuki & Kawasaki. For with such a bike you have a far better mid-range power plant that will pull at lower revs, regular riding position, & easy of handeling around town.

When the stop light goes from red to green either bike will take off faster then most cages & they can scoot you up to around 100mph.

Also best to NOT buy till you have taken the course & in that time you can study what is on the market in used or new bikes what other suggest & such plus a far different outlook on ridining once you have taken the course.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 05:22 PM

Don't worry about "not wanting to buy another bike right away."

You don't "outgrow" bikes so much as you get used to them, and want something better. Besides, the market demand for a used 250/500 sport bike is HUGE. Resale is a piece of cake.

Start smaller, a CBR 600 is nothing like a cruiser, it's a full-fledged sport bike. You ARE going to make mistakes learning how to ride, and you're much better off making those mistakes on a Ninja 250, Ninja 500, Suzuki GS500(check out the new one on suzuki.com...good looking bike) then you are on a 100+hp bike with sensitive throttle, brakes, and handling.

If this means anything to you, I started on a Ninja 250, am now on my third bike, and I actually wouldn't mind getting another Ninja 250 for a second bike to ride locally. They're very fun to ride...and the light weight will help you build confidence faster and become a better rider than you would starting on a bike you consciously have to "take it easy" on.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 06:25 PM

Well, unless the 99 F4 is severely different from a 97 F3, I recommend it as a starter bike. My F3 is an excellent beginner bike. It has plenty of power but it's much more forgiving then the latest 6s or liter bikes. Sure, my opinion probably goes against the majority.. but I started on a 600 and I don't regret it at all.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 09:22 PM

Well if your F3 lifts the front on throttle alone, then there's not much difference between F3 and F4.

But finding difference between 99-05 600s are all speculations, they only get more midrange and stronger braking each year. Increased flickabiliy is a good thing, even for newbs.

Having said all this, you can start on any bike you want (except liter) but you may not get a chance to regret it later. This is why generally recommended tools of use are:

Kawasaki Ninja 250/500
Suzuki SV650/GS500/Bandit 600
Honda F1/F2/F3
Yamaha FZR600
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 09:53 AM

May I also suggest the Suzuki Katana 600. This is my first bike and it has done great for me. They are nice and stable, good riding position, not too fast (although quite a bit faster than anything I'd ever riden or driven but it won't really get away from you if your somewhat careful) and just a blast to drive. They also can be had relatively cheap. I got mine, a 92 in excellent shape, for $1200. Just my
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode