cbr 600 gift - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

cbr 600 gift

Hi was planning on buying a used SV650s for a beginners bike but someone just bought me a new 2005 cbr 600 RR as a gift yesterday. From reading all the posts about these bikes not being friendly to new riders im afraid to ride it now. I wanted to ask if there was any way i could still learn to ride on this cbr600 without dieing. Should i practice in parking lots with a set of cones or something? Thanks for any advice.

PS. i did think about trading the bike for the SV650s but it didnt make sence after a while since i would be buying a cbr in the future. Also selling a gift would be disrespectful in my family.

thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 12:47 AM

There are some around here who think that a 600 is fine to learn on. (I'm conflicted on it..)

The most important thing to know is that that bike will be touchy.. in every way. It will respond to your inputs very quickly.

Take it real slow. Figure out the throttle and braking of it, without putting yourself in weird handling related situations. Once you have the throttle response and braking relatively mastered, move on to figuring out the handling (i.e. geometry) of the bike.

If possible, figure out these two things seperately. What I mean is, don't put yourself in a situation where you're new to it, and you have to figure out how to control the throttle and the handling at the same time. Take it one dimension at a time.
Maybe a parking lot is best for this, or maybe your nearest residential roads with 25 mph limits.

Just take it all slowly. Learn one thing at a time and don't try to put them all together too quickly.

The most important thing to know for a person in your position is that the bike will respond to your inputs faster than you can figure out how to make them.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 07:12 AM

What a gift! Congrats.

Anyway you could keep it, and go buy a smaller, cheap used bike, like a Ninja 250 or something? Put a couple thousand miles on that before hopping on the CBR?

You don't want to scrape the fairings on that beautiful new CBR from dropping it at parking lot speeds...plus a smaller bike may help build confidence a lot faster. A 350lb bike with 110+ HP can be pretty intimidating if you've never ridden.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by slaps76
A 350lb bike with 110+ HP can be pretty intimidating if you've never ridden.
These bikes are not 350 lbs, they're still nearing 400 lbs.

Quote:
Originally posted by googlezon
Hi was planning on buying a used SV650s for a beginners bike but someone just bought me a new 2005 cbr 600 RR as a gift yesterday. From reading all the posts about these bikes not being friendly to new riders im afraid to ride it now. I wanted to ask if there was any way i could still learn to ride on this cbr600 without dieing. Should i practice in parking lots with a set of cones or something? Thanks for any advice.

PS. i did think about trading the bike for the SV650s but it didnt make sence after a while since i would be buying a cbr in the future. Also selling a gift would be disrespectful in my family.

thx
Ahem, I don't mean to sound rude, but how can someone just buy you a 600RR without knowing your preference? I mean they had to know that at least you like bikes. It's not like buying a cologne or dinner set. Wish I had that sort of luck.

Point to note that these bikes are less forgiving to learn on, but once you get the hang of it, it's basically applying the theory with restraints. Most let downs on bikes have been either on low speed or when the rider has become overconfident beyond his skill. It means these bikes would do more than ask, so ask wisely, do not turn too much or full throttle or brake late or lean while braking, etc, as you're getting the hang of it. You need more experience for this before it happens naturally. In fact get used to using slight and smoother throttle and brake. Lean early with slow speed. And of course, take MSF first before anything else.

Awesome present!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Z_Fanatic
These bikes are not 350 lbs, they're still nearing 400 lbs.
I was making a point without looking it up....they're 370 dry, but now you made me look it up Eh, with fluids they're 400.

Still very fast.

Good point on the MSF. Have you taken it? If not, 100% get in on that!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 11:32 AM

MSF first! It will help a lot. and get frame sliders. Just take your time. You don't have to be scared of it, just respect it and learn at your own pace.

Nice gift though. Be safe.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 02:37 PM

Question for the more mechanically experienced guys...

Would it be more feasible to just govern the CBR?? That way, he can learn to ride the 'bike', then learn to ride the 'engine'.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 03:34 PM

In states, we don't have the 35bhp governor/restrictor. If we did, it would save lives.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cookeetree
Question for the more mechanically experienced guys...

Would it be more feasible to just govern the CBR?? That way, he can learn to ride the 'bike', then learn to ride the 'engine'.

Seems a simple restrictor plate would do the trick. All a engine needs to work is air, fuel, and spark. Limit one of these and you limit power. Obviously the easiest to limit would be the air with plate that has a hole in it limiting the amount of air getting to the engine.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 11:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to conrice
ive seen them before. hahaha you can have a 35 hp R1! but i think the ones i saw were a replacement of the cylinder head, not just a plate, and that seems almost unfeasable because of so much work for only a few months...
but the site i saw was a british site...i cant remember if it was posted on here or gsxr.com or speedzilla...hmm...ill try to find it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode