Best 600 cc bike??? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Best 600 cc bike???

Hi, i'm a college student, 20 yrs old. And i was looking into purchasing a sport bike...I have about 9k saved up. I really wanted to get a 600 cc because i wanted a lot of performance and style, but after doing some research I realized a kawasaki 250 would be best cuz i've never ridden before. I plan on keeping that for a few months, then selling it and getting a 600 cc. I just wanted to know what you guys think is the best 600 cc, the zx6r, the cbr600f4i, the suzuki gsxr600, or the yamaha r6?? personally I like how the suzuki and honda 600s look, and I heard the honda has good handling. Other then that, i'm not too sure about which one would be best for me. I'm 5 9, 136 lbs. Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 02:10 PM

Well I can only speak for the bike I have. I am riding a 05 CBR 600 RR. I really enjoy it. I am shorter than you, 5'7" and i cannot lay both feet flat on the ground, so i cant see it being too small. I have a friend who rides an R1 and he loves that as well.

From all of the comparisons I have read in mags there dosent seem to be an incredible difference. Some have slightly better attributes in one area than another. The difference was in the 1-5% in all the 05 comparisons i read.

Your best bet might be to take some test drives from the dealership when your ready to buy and see what you think. Or try a friends bike.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 03:11 PM

There will be little difference performance-wise between the new 6's. Sit on each one of them at a dealer and see which is more comfortable. And of course factor in which one you think looks better.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 04:07 PM

In the few months that you have the EX250, you will be around enough of the new bikes (probably) and can talk to enough of those guys to come to general conclusion about what you do and don't want.

Most of them are exactly the same. They all are getting lighter and peakier (more hp), similar ergos and styling. Pretty much gotta pick whether you want an undertail exhaust, colors, or brand/dealer loyalty.

Remember to get some sweet gear with all of that startup cash. I'd also recommend a used EX 250 or 500 rather than new, save you a few hundred from the "driving it off the lot" depreciation, and basically have the same bike. Also learn how to wrench on that EX, much easier (less fairings to take off, lighter etc) than anything newer.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 05:59 PM

Talking

There's soooo much competiton between the jap 600cc bikes that it dosnt really matter which one you pick. it'll be just as good as the rest. Just pick that appeals in looks and comfort to you. Altho i always like to talk up the yams. go the r6!!!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pyrotek2k
Most of them are exactly the same. They all are getting lighter and peakier (more hp), similar ergos and styling. Pretty much gotta pick whether you want an undertail exhaust, colors, or brand/dealer loyalty.

Exactly the same..?? I beg to differ, they are not the same..Sit on all the different bikes in the 600 class, you'll see that there are differences...some that may not suit you, some that may be to your liking...I tried all of them, and depending on your hight, ect..some just won't be comfy...the Kaw 600 for instance has a swept back windscreen, that obscures my vision of the cluster, i.e. speedo...the R6 Yam..is too small in the frontal area for me..anyway, you get the idea...I stayed with the Gixxer..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 02:24 PM

Well, they all have within 5hp, weight within 10lbs, have the same EXACT same front and rear wheel sizes, inline four, four valve/cyl, four stroke, fuel injected, 6sp, similar gearing, dual disc dual caliper radial braking front, same tank capacity within a fraction of a gallon,

Basically more similarities than differences, compared to tourers, cruisers, dual-sport, twin sportbikes, sport-tourers, two-strokes, motard, etc. etc. etc.
There are more differences between the FZR and YZF, or YZF and R6, or the F4I and RR, or last and this generation GSXR, than between the current crops IMO. They make evolution changes within a year of each other, the competition is stiff.

The only MAJOR differences between those bikes are USD or conventional forks and undertail or side exhaust. Maybe one or two of them have LCD rather than sweep tachs, most of them will have digi speedos.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 06:58 PM

I agree that most of the stat's will be similair on the new 600's. The biggest determaning factor for me was the way the bike felt for me. I sat on a gixxer and I couldnt believe it, my knee's couldn't even fit (im 6'2). It was very uncomforatble for me, then I sat on an R1 and it was perfect. The tank and body was much more slim and the tank curvature(sp) supported my knee's very well. My advice would be to just sit on all of the 600's and see which one feels best for you. Good luck.

Guess I should change my name, not a poser anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode