first bike - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

first bike

I'm a newer rider and want to go get starter bike. I was looking at ninja 250s since everyone i know advises against starting on a 600. However i'm 6'1" and about 200 lbs. so i'm concerned about a 250 being to handle my size. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 11:11 PM

Depends, if you need to commute on a hiway / freeway, then a ninja / EX 500 might be a better way to go..just cause the 500 will cruise at those speeds easier than the 250 would..both bikes are good begining bikes. Also, if you haven't already, consider a used bike..I've seen some good deals on the 500's...check around.

Have you taken the MSF course yet..? if not, just do it...

Good Luck in your search..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 07:06 PM

I got a 92 Suzuki Katana 600 for my first bike and it's been great for me. It's relatively easy to ride and has good power but not too much and what it has is easily controllable. It's fast enough to be really fun, feels fast as hell to me, if you rev it out but is nice and predictable in the lower RPMs and won't run away on you or loop if you give it too much throttle. They're also pretty cheap, I paid $1200 for one in excellent shape, mechanically simple, easy to maintain and super fun to ride, pretty comfy ride position too. Now it won't compete with 600RRs on the track but it'll be a while before you can use it to it's full potential anyway. It's a little on the heavy side but I'm 6'2" 180lbs and have no trouble moving it around so you shouldn't either. I was also looking at the 500 ninjas and such but really didn't like the looks of 'em. and on the MSF class Just my

Last edited by Mr Nice Guy; 05-30-2005 at 07:08 PM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 11:52 PM

I can't stress this enough to anyone I know who wants to ride a sportsbike for the first time and that is to buy used! There will be a time when one will lay their bike down sooner or later. And if you haven't yet, well I don't wanna say. But good luck to yah!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 06:01 AM

hey....welcome....

....there are many, many threads on SBW related to this question. Do a search and research some of the advice for yourself. In my opinion a Ninja 500 or maybe an older 600 may do the trick for your body size! Happy hunting, be safe and go ride!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

i definetly plan on buying used and taking the MSF class i'm still undecided about what kind of bike to get but when i'll decide i'll let u guys know. thanx for the help.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Ok so I've narrowed down my options, I'm either gonna go with a Katana 600, or the SV650s and get lower fairings for it, I was wondering which one ya'll thought was better for a beginner.

Thanx,
Rich
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 01:12 AM

I think they're both decent beginer bikes. My first bike is a Katana and my buddies first bike is an SV650S and we've both had good results learning to ride them. I think the Kat is a little more forgiving though having less low end torque. The SVs are pretty easy to wheelie if you give too much throttle but the Katana rider really has to work at and try to wheelie it. It can be done but you are not gonna pull the front up on accident. The SV is a bit lighter though and is probably a bit more flickable but I've had no trouble with the Kat being sluggish in the turns at all. It can take everything I've given it and beg for more. I'm sure it'll take a good while before I can ride this bike to it's limits. It's not something I will get bored with anytime in the near future, that's for sure. Anywhoo I think you'll be happy with either one. Just pick the one that suits you the best. Good Luck and let us know what you decide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode