Insurance - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Insurance

Im about to get a new 05 yamaha r6. What is the about normal insurance price im going to pay per month. also whats the cheapest?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 09:13 PM

Obviously it depends on your driving record and age. I'm paying $126.00 every 6 months for full coverage with 100/300/100 protection with a clean driving record and pushing 40.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 09:14 PM

It's real tough for 3rd parties to answer this.

If you're under 25, it's higher, if you live in a highly populated city or in a metropolis, it's higher, if theft is high in the nearest big city it's higher, if you're single it's higher, if you have tickets, it's higher, if you have a wreck, it's even higher.

Everything drives it up, few things drive it down.

Nice avatar, by the way.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Haha well im 18. i live near dallas texas but i have a clean driving record so it might be a little high
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 03:39 PM

Under 25 insurance rates

I've had friends get quotes for insurance and the price was so high because they are under 25, in excess of $1800/6 months, that they decided not to purchase a motorcycle at all. Is that rate common?

I'm 29 and just switched from a metric cruiser --'03 Vulcan 750, to my first sportbike -- '03 ZX7R. My insurance company said that because both bikes have the same displacement my rate remains the same with full coverage, $35/month. Since I haven't gotten the first bill on the sportbike, I'm worried that they will realize that they made some kind of mistake and stick me with a much larger bill. Anyone have experience on this one?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 06:55 PM

I have been told Country Insurance bases their rates on year and displacement only. Beiing a sportbike does not make a difference, but you must also have an auto policy with them. Most Insurance companies do charge more for sportbikes.

You could easily pay 200 a month full coverage at 18, and later 50 a month at 26 for a new bike.

"Don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter."

"When I drink, something happens. This guy called Buzzy comes out. And he proceeds to do whatever he wants, I guess'' - Wayne Rainey
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 06:14 AM

American Family won't even insure my Ducati(s). Had to go Progressive $1200 per year full coverage 4 bikes over 40 Sorta clean record. Had a claim last year (pot hole) and rates actually went down Still too high though. If you are worried about costs associated with sportbikes get a cruiser.

I think the displacement only theroy is wrong. Soon as my agent saw the "Z" in the vin number the price went up.

A few ccs short of a full litre.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 11:44 AM

Let me prepare you for it, get ready to pay out the anal cavity. im 29 but live close to d.c. high crime rate here. also i saw some people say their policy is a 6 month thing here its yearly. i pay 2196.00 per year and i own the bike, no liens on it. its a 2000 zx9r clean driving record, no points, tickets, nothing. it all depends on how much vaseline the insurance company got that day when you call i guess.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 12:20 PM

State farm operates by the displacement theory. The diff between my z1k and my zx10 was only $7/mo

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 12:44 PM

Get ready for it cause its gonna hurt...27 years old...clean driving record for 12 years...no tickets, accidents or anything...I went from 83 Yamaha 550 Maxim @ $30 monthly to an 02 Yamaha R1 @ $137 monthly. Talk about kicked in the b*lls, and I live in El Paso where your bike can come up stolen right out from under ya. Taking the MSF course will knock off about 10 percent. Aside from being 40+ with a perfect record, in a farm town, in the middle of nowhere, with population 62, there ain't much to lower it. Or just go for a cruiser, not such a bad way to go if ya can't handle the high premiums.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode