Totally lost - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Totally lost

alright, I had my mind set on a ninja 250, I didnt like the look, but I thought I could deal with it. So I went to the motorcyle dealership today to sit on all the bikes.. From 1000cc(for fun) to 600s and the ninja 500.

As I only have one arm that extends fully right now I didnt get too good of a feel for comfort. I know people say sportbikes arent made to be suit for comfort, But when I say that..I mean they just didnt fit me well enough.

The ninja 500 was definently the best feel for me when I sat on it. Same with the R6. I was suprised to be honest,

I for sure was getting a used ex500 when I left the shop. When I talked to my friends, They told me not to get a ninja..get the zx-6r instead because the ninjas looked ugly(which I sort of agree with, no offense to ninja riders. a bike is a bike)

Now taking into the fact ive rode many different dirtbikes for the past year..Trail, track etc. Including my friends DR-Z400. I feel pretty comfortable riding, shifting etc. Its only a year of experience, But I know some and am likely not to make beginner mistakes. Such as panicing and grabbing front break in all the way etc, Which ive seen done many times.

My main question comes down to this, Keep in mind budget isnt an issue. But ide rather NOT spend an extra few thousand on a used 600.

1: Go with a used ninja 500 if I can find one for sale at nice price.

2: Buy a new 05 ninja 500 for say 5k out the door including all reg/service,(Ide cry when I dropped the bike, Which I know i most likely will sooner or later, Because the new shiny ones are just so sexy )

3:Get a used r6 for around 5-6k if im lucky?

Note: I will most likely not be buying the bike until i get my casts off. Then im going to sit on the bikes again, But im pretty sure my opinion will be the same in terms of best fit. Unfortunatly the guy helping me look at bikes didnt take me seriously im pretty sure. Maybe because i had a cast on lol. anyway sorry for the long and boring post, ive got alot of time atm =/

-Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 04:47 PM

Option A.

BTW, aside from having the same control mechanisms, dirtbikes and road bikes are worlds apart, as are the environments in which they are ridden.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 06:13 PM

Re: Totally lost

"When I talked to my friends, They told me not to get a ninja..get the zx-6r instead because the ninjas looked ugly"

A ninja and a zx-6r are the same thing, its one bike. The Ninja ZX-6R or 6RR

Guess I should change my name, not a poser anymore.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 06:31 PM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally posted by cookeetree
Option A.

BTW, aside from having the same control mechanisms, dirtbikes and road bikes are worlds apart, as are the environments in which they are ridden.
Or option 1., for those of us in the United States

Because I have this nagging feeling I know what's really going to happen, I recommend not posting in this thread again after you make your decision if it flies in the face of whatever general consensus is given in this thread. This seems like common sense, but we see it all the time. Just a tentative warning.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kanwisch
Or option 1., for those of us in the United States

Because I have this nagging feeling I know what's really going to happen, I recommend not posting in this thread again after you make your decision if it flies in the face of whatever general consensus is given in this thread...
Yeah, yeah. C'mere for a second and take it like a man...

SoBe, further to kanswisch's comment, I would also advise against posting any "I crashed my R6" threads.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

I guess it is obvious now that ive slept on it =P I was just being told so many things i didnt know what to do.

edited-

after looking around at prices, all I see are 2001-04 ninja 500s used for around 4000-4500 dollars,

Is it honestly worth paying that? I did a search all over us on cycletrader, The lowest 500 price i coukd find that wasnt a 1980-90 bike was 3700 for 01 ninja 500 with minor scratches.

Brand new ninja 500 here is roughly 4700 out the door. No problems..Never been rode etc. People say not to buy a brand new bike for first one, But why pay 500 dollars less for a used one thats 3 years older with 5-9k miles.

sort a rant, but im really interested in knowing. at this point it looks like ill go with a new one,

Last edited by SoBe; 05-26-2005 at 03:08 AM.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 06:40 AM

If the difference is really $500, I'd say go ahead and by a new one. Keep it for a season, and sell it. $500 isnt bad for a season of riding.
As for looks, well yeah, the 500 isnt the pritiest bike out there. But all you are ever going to see of it, is half the gas tank and the gages

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 06:52 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Re: Re: Totally lost

Quote:
Originally posted by Big_Poser
A ninja and a zx-6r are the same thing, its one bike. The Ninja ZX-6R or 6RR
All Ninjas are ZX6's huh? Unless of course it is a Ninja 250, Ninja 500, Ninja ZX10, or Ninja ZX12.

Check the Kawasaki webpage....all Ninjas are not 6's.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 08:16 AM

Re: Re: Re: Totally lost

Quote:
Originally posted by spicersh
All Ninjas are ZX6's huh? Unless of course it is a Ninja 250, Ninja 500, Ninja ZX10, or Ninja ZX12.

Check the Kawasaki webpage....all Ninjas are not 6's.
Pedantic much? I'm pretty sure he meant that all ZX-R6's are ninjas. At least, that seemed fairly obvious to me. There's my smartass comment for the day, dont' flame teh hell out of me plz thx~

Anyway, glad it looks like you've decided to go with the 500. I bought one a couple weeks ago, managed to find an alright deal on a used one. I'm a shade on the tall side myself, 6 feet, 155 pounds or so, and the bike is really comfortable for me. Even after spending 5+ hours on it my only complaint is that my ass hurts, and I get a tiny bit of neck strain from looking up. I think most of that will be remedied just by paying more attention to my posture, shifting weight to my knees and the pegs should help relieve the pain in my ass.

As for new versus used, if the difference is only $500, I'd say go new. That's what I'd do.

Heal up quick and all that
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 08:32 AM

After 5 hours in the saddle your ass is going to be hurting on anybike, Even a roadking.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode