What's the difference? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

What's the difference?

Hey,
I'm just wondering what's the difference between the YZF 600 and R6, performance wise. This will be my first crotch rocket, and want to stick with it for a while, not sell it a year later. They are only a couple hundred dollars different price wise, and the R6 seems A LOT beter, but will it be too much? I have been riding dirtbikes for a while, and am currently riding an RM 250 modded out, so I am used to excessive power , but I understand there is an extreme difference between dirt and street. I realize the R6 is fuel injected, and this would be very nice to have! Do you think the R6 would be too much for a first bike, I will limit myself for the first few months, and not do anything stupid! Is the YZF a lot more comfortable, because I plan on trying to ride as often as I can. Thanks ahead of time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 02:29 PM

The R6 is really to hot & twitchy a bike for you as a first. The YFZ600R is a good move as it has probably one of the best mid-range power plants in the 600 fours. Also the bike is more forgiving in handeling. Bike has top rate anchors & a more comfortable riding position for often I will go out & clock some 5 to 8 hrs on the bike in my mtn roads & come home with a smile wishing I had put in more hrs.

Mine is one of the original bike in '97 & only costs have been petrol, oil, tyres, chains. True I was going far, far to fast on some up-hill twisties to loose front end on some sand so fought the bike & went down at around 60 to 75mph. So cost me a nose piece, side panel, mirror, signal light & a bit of touching up here & there.

It is the first of three sportbikes I bring out in the Spring & last to be put away in late Autumn due to its ease of handeling.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Is there a big difference in the maintence schedule between the R6 and the YZF? I think the R6 looks 10 times better, but I'm not looking to buy a death ticket here. The YZF has plenty of get up and go, right? I'm sure it does.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 05:46 AM

I'd go with the naked for your first. The performance difference is in that range you wont be able to hit for the first year or two. Even afterwords, the bike can be pushed VERY far, just abit uncomfortable at high speeds over a prolonged period of time (120+). The more "relaxed" geometry is going to offer mid corner stability you are really going to apritiate, and the riding position is good for 800 mile days (also not much more than that)
FI is nice, there is no doubt about that, but you can live without it.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 01:37 PM

Yes the YZF600R has plenty of get up & go & I have been scooting up some steep parts of the hwy to notice I was doing almost 115mph & still revs to go.

True it is not like an R6 when it comes to max power, one shifts into gears at a bit lower revs SO it is not a screamer in revs, while servicing & maintance should be around the same on both. Also it does not look at fast & as sleek as an R6, but bet you after 6 or 8 hrs of riding an R6 you will be in pain & agony compared to you doing the same on the 600r.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode