How much experience on an old bike before upgrading - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

How much experience on an old bike before upgrading

I read on and on about how you should get an old bike to gain experience before getting something new...
I can't find anything on how much experience is ideal... I finished the MSF course in the beginning of April and bought a 87 ninja 750 and have rode it for almost the past 2 months... I plan on riding it for the rest of the season until September-Octoberish time... Then, in the fall i would like to get another used 2000+ bike in the $4,000-$5,000 range. I have not yet fallen, but had 2-3 scares like it seems everyone has... I ride rather cautious because I have realized how dangerous these machines can be... I am 22. However, I do rip the throttle for under 5mph up to 60-70mph on occasion... I have also definately seen my confidence level go up since I have started... If there any way to actually measure what enough experience is? Is 1 full season enough to the upgrade? I dont want to get a new bike (which i am sure i will always prefer to ride compared to this old one) and not be ready for it, or be able to ride it very well... Im looking at a 2000+ 600cc since everyone told me they would rip the shit out of what i have now...

Thoughts? Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 10:19 PM

Cannot see why you cannot upgrading within the end of the season. Also best time to buy as prices are down even on used bikes.

Also you are not aiming for a 1L '05 bike, but a 600 of '00.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Smitty,

Thats what I was thinking, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't moving too fast...

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 07:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to Chris Sedition Send a message via Yahoo to Chris Sedition
actully, the time to be the *most* cautious is when your confidence level starts to go up. becuase thats is when you start pusihing yourself a bit more, and your concentration can start to slip a bit.

the real answer to your question is kinda subjective. some people are comfortable with an upgrade pretty quick, others a lot longer. I'd be more concerned with MILES you put on the bike rather than time you've had it.

LISTEN TO SLAYER
AIM: chR1s sedition
Yahoo: CSedition

2003 R1 (black / red / hell-fire)

"All black, no bling"
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Sedition
actully, the time to be the *most* cautious is when your confidence level starts to go up. becuase thats is when you start pusihing yourself a bit more, and your concentration can start to slip a bit.
Agreed. I went down because I got too confident. Too confident leads to being in over your head in the blink of an eye.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Ok, that makes sense to me. So far, I have put about 300-400 miles on the bike and it has been almost 2 months. I plan on putting about the same rate, maybe even a bit higher...
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 11:37 AM

That's it? The weather has been great in NJ, you gotta get out riding more! I actually don't live too far from you, if you want to go out riding sometime just send me a PM.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Sedition

the real answer to your question is kinda subjective. some people are comfortable with an upgrade pretty quick, others a lot longer. I'd be more concerned with MILES you put on the bike rather than time you've had it.
Also it has lot to do with types of road travelled, for example, 1000 miles racked up on twisties is better than 3000 miles on straight roads. Unfortunately, some of us don't get to travel down road full of twists.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 02:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to Chris Sedition Send a message via Yahoo to Chris Sedition
Quote:
Originally posted by Magester
Ok, that makes sense to me. So far, I have put about 300-400 miles on the bike and it has been almost 2 months. I plan on putting about the same rate, maybe even a bit higher...
Hah. I did 350 miles *today*. You gotta ride that thing more!!!

-chr|s sedition

LISTEN TO SLAYER
AIM: chR1s sedition
Yahoo: CSedition

2003 R1 (black / red / hell-fire)

"All black, no bling"
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-22-2005, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Tell me about it!!! I love riding, but hate riding by myself and have no one to ride with... Hopefully I find people soon!!! Unas_the_Slayer, I sent you an email and we will definately go riding together!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode