Race Replica's - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Race Replica's

I was just wondering why people refere to sport bikes as race replica's. Do they call them that because there just street versions of GP or racing bikes? When i first heard smitty talk about these i thought mabey there were cheaper/ripoff versions of sportbikes.

Guess I should change my name, not a poser anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 07:05 PM

Race replicas are legal versions of the bikes that are used in racing.

Near as I can tell, 'sportbike' is sort of a broad term. When I think sportbike, I think race replica, but that's technically not accurate.

Generally, they're denoted by an 'R' in the model name. GSX-R, YZF-R, CBRxxxR or RR, etc.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 07:11 PM

The term "sportbikes" that the insurance companies recognize are full fairing and the rider leans forward. So this is what I think is a sport bike.

Sideways answered the replica part; the stock version of what professional racers use, but you can't get a stock, street-legal GP bike.

"Don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter."

"When I drink, something happens. This guy called Buzzy comes out. And he proceeds to do whatever he wants, I guess'' - Wayne Rainey

Last edited by Mr.TrevorClever; 05-19-2005 at 07:34 PM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 07:30 PM

The sportbike is the closest thing to their race bikes that are used in major events.

So in other words you are looking at a bike highly tuned m/c, that is still street legal & only with a few modifications you could be entering it in Daytona or the Isle of Man TT. One thing to slow you down would be you must be with an EXPERT license in racing & that takes a few years to earn.

In fact that is what the top bikes will be at the famous TT races & that is what they use in many of their races over in Europe. Not some rare race bike put out by the factory & only 4 of them made that year for their two factory racers.

True these are NOT the MotoGP racing bikes for they do NOT make a maze of those as they are really the few bikes they make for their factory racers. Still look at all the other road racing going on, in the world, & the bikes they are racing are the sportbikes you & I can buy along with FIM limitations on what modifications they can do to them.

The Brits churned out the best road racer bikes from so many yrs back with some competition from Moto Guzzi, & some other m/c makers out of the UK.

I had their 500cc DOHC Manx Norton with its "Featherbed Frame" & Road Holder forks. An amazing bike in its time & it was identical to what their few factory riders raced.

Norton made a few bikes they called "International" being a 500cc SOHC Vs their normal OHV to even SV singles, steel tank, enclosed primary chain case with lights, & 100% street legal. This was a close as anyone could get to a Manx 500. If you bought a Manx 500 it was with bump starting, no lights, megaphone, & ONLY a road racer so not street legal---besides they were only a few of them made & a racer was lucky to be able to obtain one.

So a far cry from the sportbikes one can buy these days from the Jpn m/c makers to Dukes.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 12:53 AM

Actually in AMA Supersport racing (600cc class) the bikes they use are right out of the crate. Couple tweaks to the suspension and a full cat exhaust and your good. You better be a damn good rider if you have one of these out on the streets.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 04:21 AM
Strength and Honor

No, sportbikes is not interchangeable with race replica. Certainly no one would suggest a Suzuki GS500F would be a race replica and I don't think the SV650S is one either.

A race replica is a bike that is almost exclusively based on a race bike, which has already been noted. Ones I consider in this category: GSXR600, 600RR, R6, ZX6RR. Others might fit that category as well, but those are the common ones.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 07:19 AM

I think everyone pretty much answeared the question. Sportbike is a generalized category for just about any bike where the rider leans forward. Those include the race reps, and the likes of SV's VFR's, 919, 599, Z1k, Z750, triples, daytonas.
Race reps are virtually identical to the race bikes used in supersport and superbike. There is some efforts to make them road legal with lights, exhaust, mirrors, and different tires. But for the most part they are what the factorys race. Those bikes offer unparallel performance, but they are VERY unforgiving to riders who make mistakes. The extreme geometry of the bikes that gives them quick handling comes at the expanse of stability. Virtually all will head shake coming out of a corner on the throttle, tank slap from a pothole, lock up the rear tire on a downshift, loop right over from the throttle and have enough brakes to flip over the other end as well. In other words, respect those beasts.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Okay, that makes sense. thanks

Guess I should change my name, not a poser anymore.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
...Virtually all will head shake coming out of a corner on the throttle, tank slap from a pothole, lock up the rear tire on a downshift, loop right over from the throttle and have enough brakes to flip over the other end as well...
You'd make a great salesman!

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 04:10 PM

Well what is the point of having interesting stuff happen to you, if you cant tell it as a good story?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode