Honda VTR 250 vs. Kawi Ninja 250 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Lyle Beach
Honda VTR 250 vs. Kawi Ninja 250

Hello,

I am looking to get a bike in the next few weeks, and I have seen a few bikes that I have narrowed it down to.

I am new to riding so I would feel comfortable starting on a 250.

Can you please tell me any pros and cons between these 2 bikes?

1990 Honda VTR Interceptor vs. 00'-04' Kawasaki Ninja 250

performance?

availability for parts?

Any other comments?

Thanks for your time!

Lyle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 09:12 PM

I say go with the 00-04 ninja. Newer bikes are less hassle (fuel injected vs carbs), and lighter. It'll prolly b easier to take the test with too. Just my 2 cents.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 09:30 PM

Ninja 250........

....without a doubt........hands down!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 10:02 PM

Both bikes have carbs, but go with Ninja 250, more parts available, little maintenance, and more demand for resell.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the replys!

Cheers,

Lyle
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 11:33 PM

I may be completely wrong here, but the pics of VTR 250 that I've seen before gave me the impression that it had drum brakes on the front, which would mean drum brakes on the rear as well. The Ninja 250 in the year range you mention definintely has disk brakes on both, front and rear. With disk brakes being superior, that means that this entry level sportbike spanks all but a few cruisers as far as brakes are concerned.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by veektor
I may be completely wrong here, but the pics of VTR 250 that I've seen before gave me the impression that it had drum brakes on the front, which would mean drum brakes on the rear as well. The Ninja 250 in the year range you mention definintely has disk brakes on both, front and rear. With disk brakes being superior, that means that this entry level sportbike spanks all but a few cruisers as far as brakes are concerned.
Very good point. Didn't even think about that. Good call
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2005, 07:41 PM

VTR250 strong points and correction

I know this is a late reply, but I just found this thread. I first noted a confusion about the VTR's brakes.The rear is indeed a Drum brake, but the front is NOT. It has a weird inboard disc, that only looked like a drum. This was never used again on another USA bound honda, and was a styling excersise. Another point about this front brake, was that it faded quickly due to overheating if you raced/braked the bike hard.
But now for the Good news, the VTR had the BETTER Engine ! It was actualy a slice off the old VF500 Interceptor engine, and has alot more torque than the EX250R, and was geared differently accordingly. It was a much easier bike to ride fast...you didn't need to row the gearbox as much to get into the powerband.
Now don't get me wrong, the 250 ninja is a Zinger of bike....but I put some fast miles on a buddies VTR250 while we were race tuning it, and I really was MORE impressed with IT'S engine. But it's brakes were a week point, and we eventually ended up swapping the front end from a VF500 and the thing stopped on a dime after that mod.

But true, the EX250R is still around and parts will be forever, while the little VTR250 is just a little cult classic now, but it was oh so sweet to ride...

P.S.- I've been a small engine race tuner for decades, although lately I'm specialized in Dirt track thumpers.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 10:18 AM

Re: VTR250 strong points and correction

Quote:
Originally posted by Blastoholic

P.S.- I've been a small engine race tuner for decades, although lately I'm specialized in Dirt track thumpers.
This is sort of off-topic, but would you mind if I pinged you via PM at some point in the future about my thumper revival project? I am trying to bring back to life an '85 Honda XL600R, which has not run for over 12 years. So far I cleaned out the fuel filter, petcock, the carbs, and checked valve clearances. I also know that I need a kickstarter return spring (for convenience) and the cam that engages kickstarter decompressor (sounds like a must from what I've read so far). I plan to check the cylinder compression very soon and replace the spark plugs and battery. If after the above it does not fire up, I will be officially stumped and could use some expert advice. I already posted under "How do I" on this board and on ThumperTalk.com, but since you specialize in thumpers, your expertise could be very helpful.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 07:39 PM

you're on you own with that honda

Sorry dude, I can't help you. I'm not an expert on ALL thumpers ! If you had asked about 2 valve Yamaha singles, or Rotax singles, or my latest interest- Buell singles, then I could have offered advice, or at least steered you in the right direction. But aside from a little work on the pre '82 Honda thumpers- i have not worked with any later XL's(even though yours is considered old to you). The Thumper Talk board of the Thumper page would have also been where I would have steered you. And it sounds like you are on the right track. But possibly what you've over looked is in the electrics ? Sorry I can't be of more help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode