New to Sportbikes - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2
New to Sportbikes

Ive been riding for the last 15 years, in
that time ive driven Yamaha Seca 750,
Yamana Seca Turbo 650, Yamaha
Virago 750, Yamaha 1200 V-Max.

I sold the V-max a couple years ago
after my first son was born, and Ive
got the itch to ride again, plus Im
now going to be working 250 miles
from home, so I'll be riding to work
monday mornings, staying with
friends during the week then
riding home on thursday night or
friday night and 17mpg in my truck
will put a dent in my wallet, the
savings in gas will 'almost' pay
for the bike.

Ive decided I want a Hayabusa,
Supposedly its NOT wheelie prone,
Its comfortable on long rides,
Has as much torque as my old
V-Max and more HP. Im currently
gathering riding gear since my old
gear goes better with a harley than
a sport bike .

All My previous bikes have been
shaft driven, is there anything I
should be concerned about with
a chain driven bike vs a shaft
driven bike?

Anything else I should really be
concerned about going from a
high powererd standard to a
high powered sportbike?
Ebein is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 06:17 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,798
Chains dont require a whole lot of maintanance but the do like attention. Basicly get yourself a spray can of chain wax, and lube it once a week. Takes about a minute. Adjust every couple of thouthand miles. No big deal.

I dont know who told you that busa's arent wheelie prone. Those things are like trying to ride a ICBM. Absolutely ungodly throttle responce, rear tire spends more time slipping than it does gripping. Last time I rode one, I got on the gas in the acceleration lane on the onramp. I dont remember what gear I was in, but the rear wheel instantly spun, and the back tried to over take the front. While I was in the acceleration lane, the back wheel went into the slow highway lane, putting me sideways one the road. I wish I had a picture of that. Those bikes are Animals. To make things abit worse, the brakes really cant keep up with their weight. The bike almost feels like it accelerates better than it brakes. And yes the wheelie.
Not saying its a bad bike just wanting to be sure you know what you are getting yourself into.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.



Vash is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 06:27 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,890
Re: New to Sportbikes

Quote:
Originally posted by Ebein
Ive been riding for the last 15 years, in
that time ive driven Yamaha Seca 750,
Yamana Seca Turbo 650, Yamaha
Virago 750, Yamaha 1200 V-Max.

I sold the V-max a couple years ago
after my first son was born, and Ive
got the itch to ride again, plus Im
now going to be working 250 miles
from home, so I'll be riding to work
monday mornings, staying with
friends during the week then
riding home on thursday night or
friday night and 17mpg in my truck
will put a dent in my wallet, the
savings in gas will 'almost' pay
for the bike.

Ive decided I want a Hayabusa,
Supposedly its NOT wheelie prone,
Its comfortable on long rides,
Has as much torque as my old
V-Max and more HP. Im currently
gathering riding gear since my old
gear goes better with a harley than
a sport bike .

All My previous bikes have been
shaft driven, is there anything I
should be concerned about with
a chain driven bike vs a shaft
driven bike?

Anything else I should really be
concerned about going from a
high powererd standard to a
high powered sportbike?

Busas arent wheelie-prone? Ive seen those things stand on end until they hit 140 MPH (from 30 MPH rollon)


You are looking at a VERY beastly bike. (but Vash has covered that already, so I wont get into it.)


High powered "standard" bikes are about the same HP as a 600CC supersport.

Chains are nothing worth concerning yourself over as far as buying a bike. They require periodic maintanence, ie lubing, cleaning, adjusting.


What type of roads are these 250 miles? if they are curves, I would recommend a 600CC bike (since you are worried about wheelies).

If its interstate, you are definitly looking at the right bike...
ZX6R1033 is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
Chains dont require a whole lot of maintanance but the do like attention. Basicly get yourself a spray can of chain wax, and lube it once a week. Takes about a minute. Adjust every couple of thouthand miles. No big deal.

I dont know who told you that busa's arent wheelie prone. Those things are like trying to ride a ICBM. Absolutely ungodly throttle responce, rear tire spends more time slipping than it does gripping. Last time I rode one, I got on the gas in the acceleration lane on the onramp. I dont remember what gear I was in, but the rear wheel instantly spun, and the back tried to over take the front. While I was in the acceleration lane, the back wheel went into the slow highway lane, putting me sideways one the road. I wish I had a picture of that. Those bikes are Animals. To make things abit worse, the brakes really cant keep up with their weight. The bike almost feels like it accelerates better than it brakes. And yes the wheelie.
Not saying its a bad bike just wanting to be sure you know what you are getting yourself into.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
I was told it wasnt wheelie prone
compared to the other bikes I was
looking at, R1, GSXR1000, Buell
Lightning. Im also 275lb so most
bikes have a harder time wheelieing
when Im on em ( except the buell,
which I wheelied pulling out of the
dealer on a test drive day ).
Ebein is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 06:33 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,798
Busa's have a longer wheelbase, which does make them less wheelie prone. They also have a monster of an engine that makes them very wheelie prone.
Given that you have fairly extensive expirience I would think you would be ok on any of the bikes you mentioned.



Vash is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 06:39 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,798
Maybe I should put it this way. Any sportbike will wheelie.
Any 1+liter will wheelie without a great deal of provocation. If you know how to work the throttle than it shouldnt be much of a problem, Unexpected wheelies are ussually a few inches high.
If you cant work the throttle and afraid the bike is going to get away from you, you need something much smaller.



Vash is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 06:43 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,890
Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
Maybe I should put it this way. Any sportbike will wheelie.
Any 1+liter will wheelie without a great deal of provocation. If you know how to work the throttle than it shouldnt be much of a problem, Unexpected wheelies are ussually a few inches high.
If you cant work the throttle and afraid the bike is going to get away from you, you need something much smaller.
I believe Matt said it the best....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumb200p01.jpg (7.8 KB, 92 views)
ZX6R1033 is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 07:23 AM
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 610
For commuting that far i WOULD NOT recommend a 600cc bike.. Just the high revs make them uncomfortable for long rides..

I loved my 954 for communting.. Coushy seat yada yada yada.. A busa would and is a great commuter in the sportbike catigory..

I just dont know if you are gonna like the leaned over seating position for that long.. Maybe a cross comfort bike would be more of your liking..

Who knows, ridem and see which one fits you best..
docta_freeze is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 03:40 PM
Registered User
 
Z_Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,820
Quote:
Originally posted by docta_freeze
For commuting that far i WOULD NOT recommend a 600cc bike.. Just the high revs make them uncomfortable for long rides..
I don't know, 6th gear @ 80-90 mph at 5-6K rpm is not so bad or buzzy.
Z_Fanatic is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 06:45 PM
Registered User
 
mac020's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Colorado Springs, CO USA 80908
Posts: 1,430
Get the Busa!

A few ccs short of a full litre.
mac020 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome