buying a bike online...safe? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

buying a bike online...safe?

If this is in the wrong section then I apologize. I will be purchasing a 600 in Mid September and I found some really great deals online. I'm just afraid they might be scams. A 2001 gsxr 600 for only $2,500...no problems with it? I also see 2000+ models for about $3,500. Has anyone here purchased a bike online? Or are all these low prices a scam? They ask for western union payment and such...Im unsure of this and dont know how it all works. I really do not want to be scammed. Thanks in advance

Edit: And why are these hayabusa's only going for $4,000???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 06:22 AM

Buying a bike online is not safe. But it can be done, and there are great deals to be had out there. The most common scam I see is where the bike being sold doesnt actually exist, and the escrow service is fake. If you want to be on the safer side, make sure the bike is somewhere nearby where you can go an look at it before you buy. Also you can be a bit safer by going thru the classified sections on forums than you would be on ebay.
Just remember if its too good to be true, it probly is, and you get what you pay for.
On ebay you may want to contact the seller and ask him to take some sort of really specific picture for you, that he wouldnt be able to to do without the bike (like the pic of the VIN, or the banjo bolt fitting, anything he wouldnt have a pic off ahead of time)

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 09:21 AM

I have been searching for a bike for the last two months. Ive tried buying over the internet, and if there is any uncertainty about the bike or seller just walk away. You will not find a 2000+ sportbike for less than $4000, if you do, it should be wrecked or salvaged, or the guy is leaving for active dury tomorrow.

The only people who use Western Union are those who don't want to be traced and those who want cash fast. This is not the type of seller you want to deal with.

Ask for a picture of the seller's title, registration, and VIN stamp on frame. If the seller gives any excuse why they can't or don't want to show it, there is some shady shit goin on.

I did find a bike on the net on a racing org classifid section. The seller had no problem sending everypic I asked for and offered to bring the bike to me, and I still haven't paid, that's what you call trust.

One other thing about deals on the net. If you have to pay for shipping, which can range from $450-650, and you will never see the bike, is it still a deal? I finally added the $500 onto how much I was willing to spend and look for something closer to home.

I started a post on Daily Rider; F'n Scammers, read it over.

good luck

"Don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter."

"When I drink, something happens. This guy called Buzzy comes out. And he proceeds to do whatever he wants, I guess'' - Wayne Rainey

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 08:54 PM

check out your local craigslist. i can't imagine an honest/legit seller who wouldn't let you check out the bike first. it's how i bought mine.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 10:02 PM

The internet is most convenient, but I prefer Cycle Trader and the newspaper classifieds.

Your location reads Houston, I would imagine there's plenty going on in the way of local people in local publications selling bikes that you could actually look at.

Just my take on it.

Best of luck finding one.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice...but is it possible to find a 2000 or up model of the GSXR-600 for around $3,000? I can't spend any more than $4000 on a bike. As this will be my first and I want to take it easy on the price. Can anyone tell me what would be a really good deal on this bike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode