Ways to get license? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Ways to get license?

i was wondering the different ways to get your motorcycle license, and how long you have to wait after your permit? if you get your permit do you need to wait 6 months like a car? and if you get your license through MSF does the 6 months still count? and wondering different ways to get the license, like a road test, written test, msf. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 10:46 AM

This will differ from state to state. Here its a written test followed by a road test. Both can be taken on the same day, but you must provide a road legal vehicle and driver for the chase vehicle. MSF class takes care of everything and is the recommended way to go.

Contact your local MSF and they will explain it to you in greater detail and certainty than most us could.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 11:00 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
In Indiana (and I believe California as well) you take a written test (25 multiple choice questions) to get your permit. You must hold it for at least 30 days, and it is good for up to one year. Once it's been held for 30 days you can take the riding test at the DMV to get your license.

Some states do allow you to take the MSF course and have the certification from that serve as your riding test, but I'm not sure where all that is. Your best bet is to contact the DMV and/or local safety riding courses to see for your particular state.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

ok thanks ill check it out
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 12:43 PM

Ah, you're in MA, I can help with this...

I went and took my written permit test... It's easy, out of the 14 questions I think 3 were actually motorcycle related. You need to get 14 out of 20 correct, I got the first 14 right so mine was quick. I don't think there's a set time frame you have to have it, but it does expire in a year.

My MSF course is next Tuesday and Wednesday in Brockton. Provided I pass the course I will receive a waiver certificate for my license. I then go to the DMV and pay to get the license, but require no further test.

You will need to get your permit ahead of time to get the license waiver from the MSF course.

That simple!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

oo nice, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode