ATTN: A must-read for all new riders! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation ATTN: A must-read for all new riders!

You're a new rider, you've got questions... Read this first!

http://www.chuckhawks.com/good_first_motorcycles.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 09:50 AM
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
Made it stick!

Good info Dan-o!

Help control the squid population, have your squid spayed or neutered

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Jester
Made it stick!

Good info Dan-o!
Yay, I Rock!

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 11:32 AM

While Dan still gets my worthless vote for emperor of america, I think that article is abit over the top.
1. Whats the guys deal against sportbikes? Good for nothing but the track? Cant commute? Please I've done over 800mi/day on mine and I remember several cruiser buddies begging for a rest couse their arms were going numb. But I'll forgive the guy this point.
2. I am a big proponent of a starter bike. Not starter bikes. IMO the avrg newbe needs a season on something that isnt a race replica. In all honesty one crash (not severe) during that season does wonders. After that most people either figure out that riding isnt for them, or are ready for a full on sport bike if their heart so desires. 125's are great for the msg course, but there is no reason to get one of them, than sell it and get a 250, so that you can than trade it up to a 500. Really, thats way over the top. The GS500 or the EX500 is a fine starter bike. Sure they go 100mph and thats plenty fast to get into trouble. But starter bikes are not a cure for stupidity, just lack of expirience.

My first bike was a 750zephyr, which is a UJM looking standart/cruiser. It would do 120 if you tuck in just right and get some tail wind. It was the first bike I ever rode, and it terrified me when it came time to turn it. It weighed somewhere around 550lbs, and one person could definetly pick it up. Which does bring up a valid point. If you cant pick up your motorcycle, you shouldnt be riding it.

Last edited by Vash; 05-19-2005 at 11:50 AM.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
While Dan still gets my worthless vote for emperor of america, I think that article is abit over the top.
1. Whats the guys deal against sportbikes? Good for nothing but the track? Cant commute? Please I've dont over 800mi/day on mine and I remember several cruiser buddies begging for a rest couse their arms were going numb. But I'll forgive the guy this point.
Thank you for your continued support!

I think the author did a good job of defining many of the concerns and realities of being a new rider as it relates to the different types of bikes. Of course, we're all different and what may be comfortable to me may not be comfortable to you. For instance, Vash kisses Tippmann and I'm just not into that.

post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
...If you cant pick up your motorcycle, you shouldn't be riding it...
Wow, bold statement!

Not everyone wants to ride a feather-weight sports bike. eg: Are you suggesting that you can't ride a Gold-Wing unless you can lift it?

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 01:24 PM

Yes I am.
I've seen some pretty small guys lift goldwings. It just takes a proper tecnique

post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 01:48 PM

What do you mean by lift?

Just getting a wheel up, or being able to pick the entire bike up?
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 01:53 PM

From the point where you get up thinking *what the hell did just happen?* to the point where you are on your bike and riding again. I've never tried to pick up a goldwing, but I have picked up some pretty big harleys, and I'm not that big (155lbs). So I think that the proper way to pick up a bike should be toght at MSF (if it isnt already) and that if you are too small (like 5'2" 100lbs) than stay away from really big bikes.

post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
What do you mean by lift?

Just getting a wheel up, or being able to pick the entire bike up?
Bike's on its side, you have to get it upright.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode