ATTN: A must-read for all new riders! - Page 6 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 05:55 AM
Strength and Honor

I'm not sure I would agree. Based totally based on my own readings with no statistical support whatsoever, I would estimate that a rider who's been in the seat for, say, 200+ separate events is likely to fall into the category of crash you note. Prior to that, however, there's at least an equal chance that the new rider will be the central cause for the crash as opposed to other drivers/riders.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-26-2008, 06:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrtbus View Post
i recently just got my first bike i havent even rode it yet but my husband did he said it has a lot of power i am a nurse by perfession so i uderstand and have seen what can happen to bike riders and i do realize its not just the riders more so the cars and so forth are a danger ( people talking on cellphones and people pulling out in front of you) so i refuse to get on public roads im checking into the bike course and since my bike has a custom paintjob on it my husband bought me a cage to go on my bike so i dont tear up the farings and i plan on lowering the bike becouse im 5foot 5 and dnt completly reach the floor on my cbr the only thing im really nervous about is turning i hear that is the hardest part any advice for me on my adventure

Take your time, learn at your own pace. Get in MSF.

My first bike was an F4i as well. My first turn I went right across somebody's yard as they were watering it (You shoud've seen the look on his face). I stayed in my neighborhood learning the controls for three weeks before I ventured on public roads. I was still a little shaky at that point. After MSF my confidence skyrockted and I felt much safer on the bike. What I noticed is at that point things like shifting and braking and being aware of my surroundings became much more subconscious efforts. I didn't have to tell myself, "clutch, upshift, let out clutch, roll on gas", it just started happening.

You might take a lot of grief for lowering your bike as well. But unless you plan on tracking it you'll be fine. Lowering it does affect handling but not so much that you'll be running off the road out in the twisties. You'll still have an absolute blast on it.

Last but not least, have fun and keep us posted on your progress!

"Let us celebrate our arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk."
post #53 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 12:35 AM

Helpful book for first-time buyers

Lots of good info being posted here..

MSF courses are great, but I've found they don't teach new riders anything about buying the actual bike!

Have a look at this book on Amazon:

Happy and safe riding!

Last edited by Jamessig; 05-05-2012 at 12:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode