ATTN: A must-read for all new riders! - Page 4 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CruisInR6
...you guys be telling yourselves if all these nitwits can go out and just buy a sport bike, our coolness factor is over!...
That statement is so pathetic it's actually funny.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 12:16 AM

Don't know about you, but wouldn't you get annoyed if someone just comes on these forums, totally ignores all the stickies that had a good amount of time and thought put in, and posts how they are godly and an exception to all your advice/knowledge?

no? then how about multiplying that by about 20 a week, where others put pretty much similar reasoning? you try to help and advise but it gets pretty tiresome after a while. now what if after all the advice you give them they STILL get a brand spanking new liter bike? I personally would feel like crap because the entire post would have been pointless, they've already made up their mind and are just fishing for someone else to say it's ok.

I've spent some time lurking on this specific forum, read all the stickies and bought myself an F3, it's an older 600, but 600 nonetheless, so what happens after my first couple months owning it? I crashed it, simply because I didn't realize just how good and sensitive the brakes are. Just because I crashed doesn't mean everyone else will, but that's just an example of how someone can get into something without knowing how much they're in over their heads. If people want advice, they're more than welcome to get it here... I signed up here to learn more and become a better rider, make a few new friends along the way and put in my own

CruisInR6, do you even own a bike? by saying "you sport bike people" I understand that you still don't count yourself part of this fun yet dangerous community. My heart won't bleed over people I give advice to and they don't listen because I don't personally know most of them, if I do know of someone who did crash and died, my heart does go out to said person and their friends and family, but once again, I won't lose any sleep over it unless I personally know them.
post #33 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 04:47 AM
Strength and Honor

The suggestion that evidence is required before offering recommendations on appropriate beginner bikes presupposes that such evidence exists, which it does not. As already noted, there most certainly are anecdotes of newbs surviving starting on super sports. And many to the contrary.

I can say that I can't think of a single newbie who's remained here or even reported in after one year of riding a liter bike. The super sport 600's are a little more difficult to pin down but I can say the vast majority disappear. Perhaps that's an effect of this being the Internet or perhaps its because they crashed or sold; who knows? Being a viewer of new riders every single day on a college campus, though, gives me a viewpoint few can compare.

Online advice is just that, advice. People take it or leave it as they see fit and I wouldn't have it any other way. This way, Darwin's law can hold in general

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun

post #34 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 05:34 PM

ok don't bang me over the head. I was just peeved at you telling people they will crash burn and die.
post #35 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 05:40 PM

Quote:
ok don't bang me over the head. I was just peeved at you telling people they will crash burn and die.
just crash and burn, hopefully not die
post #36 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 09:42 AM

well at least you have a sense of humour

ill let you know when i come across my first high side.

cheers
post #37 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 09:57 AM

very good. Glad I match what he says for your first bike, and nearly the exact machine, except a newer model by 40 odd years I think

Steve
post #38 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 10:42 PM

Quote:
well at least you have a sense of humour
ill let you know when i come across my first high side.

cheers
Geez, at least this person knows a crash is imminent.
So yeah, I'm new to this forum, but not forums in general... Hopefully CruisInR6 has managed to be one of those very few people to "learn" on a 600 without serious mishap. But I'll say this, I'm not one of those people. I'm perfectly happy with my 250 Ninja, because, well, it still scares me nearly every time I ride, in one form or another. I'm not talking "OS tuck-and-roll" scare, I'm talking "Phew, that was a good corner, wowzers." Yeah, I could take out a loan and get the CBR 600 RR... Weight of the bike(wet) and me would give a power/weight ratio of 1:5, same as the old McLaren F1 and other supercars... But ya know what, I can have plenty of fun with the much lower power of the ninjette.

What's funny, is that no matter what site one goes to, this thread always has the same people. The vets who advise the wise course of caution, and the fools who scoff at such. Well, look around and see who stays around to post.
post #39 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by DFENS
What's funny, is that no matter what site one goes to, this thread always has the same people. The vets who advise the wise course of caution, and the fools who scoff at such.....

Hey! Don't forget we who fall somewhere in between... the "vets who scoff" and the "fools who advise." We bridge the gap, kind of like the creamy filling in the Oreo cookie. Keeps it all together.
post #40 of 53 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 04:20 AM

Ugh, I wish I would have known about this forum sooner. I just got on a 07 Yamaha R6S as my first bike. I wanted to get the damn 07 Ninja 250 but every person told me I would get bored. I just wanted a cheap ride to work. Now I have this set of rocket wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode