changing worlds - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

changing worlds

Hey everyone new hear, not to riding. Currently I have a 2003 Honda Shadow VLX. Bought a crusier to learn on and feel I have a preatty good grasp on things. I had wanted to move up to VTX1300C, but have started being atracted towards sport bikes. So I'm looking at 600's mainly YZF600Rs, R6s, CBR600RRs, and the SV650S. I know the 1st and 4th are differantly animals the middle two espcially the sv, but i like that one for styling and the vtwin sound. I really don't want to with a 500 since I've heard from sportbike riders that my crusiers is comparable to that except for a little more handling in turns and ride height. Alright I'll stop now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

forgot to mention I'm 5'9 160lbs, so the bike would have to fit as well.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 12:09 AM

I would look at the Suzy SV-650 & also remember the SV-650S is with clip-ons & rear sets Vs the full handlebar on the top of the forks & regular footrest position of the 650 & so not as extreme.

The Yamaha YZF600r is a pretty sweet bike with full fairing, nice mid-range power plant & while a learn forward riding position it is not as extreme as some of the 600 fours.

I have had mine since '97 & so far only costs are tyres, chains, petrol, oil, & insurance. The suspension has full Compression, Rebound & Pre-load both front & back which the SV-650S does not have. Mind it is with carbs while 650 has FI for the past 3 yrs.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 06:14 AM

go with the sv. Everyone seems to get them for track bikes, which means they have great aftermarket support, and you could get a used one pretty cheap.
The only concern might be the seat hight. You might have to tippy toe it.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
go with the sv. Everyone seems to get them for track bikes, which means they have great aftermarket support, and you could get a used one pretty cheap.
The only concern might be the seat hight. You might have to tippy toe it.
+1 on SV. I keep telling my wife we need to replace her Savage with one of these. Then I can borrow her bike whenever she's not riding it . Here is link to an SV650S on Sport-Touring.net.
Lowered SV 650S The guy had just sold it, though, but it still can't hurt to look what can be done for lowering a bike.

I'll add, though, that 5'9" is not THAT short to require lowering. My wife is that tall and she can plant both feet firmly when she sits on my Bandit. She is not very comfortable wheeling it backwards while on it, but to be honest, when I need to put it in the garage, I get off, go around to the front and push it in.

Go and ask to sit on some bikes at the dealerships, you may find you've got all the height you need.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 11:39 AM

I'm 5' 11" and fits me fine any way I sit. However I'll note that if you sit near the tank, the tank width stretches the legs, so if you sit back a bit, people of 5' 7" or so could stand the bike fine, no need to tippy toe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode